What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

Book of the month – December: The Intern

Katelyn Fonkert
“The Intern” by Michele Campbell was released October 7 of this year.

“The Intern” by Michele Campbell was honestly the worst book I’ve read in a while. The story in itself seems like it would be interesting, the characters fell flat driving the book to read poorly.

“The Intern” follows Madison, who is a student at Harvard Law School, and has been obsessed with Judge Kathrine Conroy since high school. Her obsession leads her into an internship in Judge Conroy’s chambers, but Madison has a secret that could get her fired and ruin the possibility of getting close with the Judge; her brother on trial for a drug case in Conroy’s court. As Madison digs into her brothers case she starts to realize that Conroy may not be as great as she thinks.

To be candid, I didn’t finish this book because it was unentertaining and slow, and I really tried to finish it, but I didn’t want to torture myself with this book any more than I already had. The characters fell flat and the chapters were so repetitive with the inner monologue; Madison was always complaining about her brother’s situation and how it affected her every two pages, and always rambled on and on about Judge Conroy. Her obsession with Conroy was clearly unhealthy, and a result of major attachment issues. The constant repetitiveness with the same things is just boring after so long.

When I got to part two of the book which followed Conroy and delved into her backstory the book started to become more entertaining, but once again there was that same issue of the constant repetitiveness and complaining, although it was a little more warranted in her case. While this section was slightly less boring, it still was not good.

I’m disappointed because I had high hopes for this book and was excited to read it, but it turns out that I just wasted my money. Overall I would not recommend this book, while the concept may seem interesting and like a good mystery, it just isn’t written well enough to make the book fun for me to read, but if you like slow building mysteries and books involving law, this book may be a better fit for you than it was for me.

Trigger warnings: Drugs, guns

⅕ read