What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

Book of the month – January: Sanctuary of the Shadow

+Sanctuary+of+the+Shadow+by+Aurora+Ascher+released+on+Jan.+10.
Katelyn Fonkert
“Sanctuary of the Shadow” by Aurora Ascher released on Jan. 10.

Aurora Ascher’s “Sanctuary of the Shadow” is a new thrilling romantasy novel that had me staying up until three a.m. and still telling myself “just one more chapter.” If you’re a fan of “Fourth Wing” by Rebecca Yarros, then you’ll love this book even though it doesn’t have any dragons.

Harrow joined Salizar’s circus to hide from those who slaughtered her clan and would kill her if they knew that she was the on seer who lived. By disguising her abilities as part of her act she has kept her identity a secret for years, but when a new mysterious Elemental arrives at the circus, all that she has done to hide her identity is at risk of being undone. The new Elemental, Raith, has no memory besides waking up in a desert and being hauled off to Salizar’s circus. Both Harrow and Raith are drawn to each other, but with the past revealing itself and enemies stopping at nothing to get their revenge, the two of them will have to learn who they really are.

I really don’t know how to talk about this book as there is so much going on throughout the whole novel. The fantasy, the romance, the tension, and the plot twists were absolutely amazing. I kid you not, when I picked this book up, I couldn’t put it down; I read half of it in one day. My favorite thing about the book is the plot twists because you think you know one thing about the characters and what’s happening and then everything goes to hell. The plot twists constantly kept me on my toes and waiting to see what happens next.

The romance in this book is so good, it had me giggling and kicking my feet. Harrow and Raith are so freaking cute and adorable; their love is just so pure. Usually, I prefer the enemies to lovers trope, but this book had me in a chokehold for Harrow and Raith’s stranger, to friends, to lovers trope. 

I really loved this book, and it was so much fun to read. Overall, It was an amazing book; and I would 100% recommend it to anyone who loves the romantasy genre and looking for something similar to “Fourth Wing,” and “The Hurricane Wars.” This book had good world building, great plot twists, and a windsweeping romance and was just a fun and entertaining book to kick off the new year too.

Trigger warnings: graphic sexual content, violence, coercion, and imprisonment.

5/5 read.