What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

Book of the month – May: Funny Story

Katelyn Fonkert
“Funny Story” by Emily Henry was released on April 23, 2024.

Emily Henry never misses; and with her latest novel “Funny Story”, the author has proved once again that she is the queen of the romance genre.

“Funny Story” follows Daphne and Miles after they both had break ups with their respective long term partners. Daphne’s ex fiance, Peter, cheated on her with his childhood best friend Petra, who cheated on Miles with Peter. After Peter breaks the news to Daphne, she moves in with Miles as she needs to move out of Peter’s house as soon as possible. Daphne and Miles keep their distance until one night when they receive Peter and Petra’s save the date card, get drunk, RSVP to the wedding, and lie and say they are dating. While keeping up the ruse of being a happy couple, a friendship is formed; but as they get to know each other better, will their ruse really be a ruse in the end?

I absolutely loved this book. I swear, it’s impossible to not love anything that Emily Henry writes. Like I said, the woman never misses. This book brought summer love to life and the characters’ chemistry was off the charts. Miles and Daphne have the cutest banter and are adorable together; they’re both way better off without Peter and Petra. I also liked how there was focus on friendship outside of the love interest in this book as Daphne figures out who she is and what she wants in a town she never fully settled in, and how she grows into herself.

Overall, this book was fantastic and brought all the good vibes that never fail to be present in an Emily Henry novel. One thing I would like to see from Emily Henry is for her to veer away from summer romance and try something else in a different setting. Even though I would like to see her try something else, she does know how to get the summer vibes to perfection in her books.

Trigger Warnings: Emotional abuse and sexually explicit content.

5/5 read.