The Prospector

The Prospector

The Prospector

Poll

What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Spring Sports Preview: Girls soccer looking to rebuild for a fun season

Angela Rowe
Seniors Hailey and Kate Johnson are excited to take on the season.

The 2023-2024 Manitou Springs High School girls soccer season has officially begun. Head coach Ben Mack is excited to share his skills and experience with the team and see what is to come this season.

Mack has been coaching soccer for over two decades and is excited to see the girls achieve this season. “Every year, the goal is to make the playoffs and have fun, so in that regard, the goals will be no different,” Mack said.

The girls have been one of the leading programs in Colorado over the past 25 years, even making the state championship game last season. “We lost something like 13 seniors from a very talented team that made the state championship game last year, so obviously expectations are a bit different this year,” Mack said.

With the cut back in players, this season could be a building season, with only two seniors coming out to play. However, the team is ready to bring the fierceness. “I love the competitive side of soccer and being able to watch that side of everyone come out,” Shaena Vigil (11) said.

Soccer is all about teamwork and keeping each other up throughout the game, and even with many beginners on the team they are welcoming to everyone and ready to achieve wins. “We have a really fun group of girls this year, and even though we are relatively inexperienced, I’m confident we will have a ton of fun and we will get better as the season moves on,” Mack said.

While winning is the goal for every sport, Mack also hopes that the girls take away the deeper meaning of soccer and see that it truly is a life sport. “I just hope the girls can look back on this season as a great experience where they learned a lot about soccer, a little about life and had a ton of fun in a positive and supportive environment,” Mack said. 

The athletes are excited to spend this season with Coach Mack, as he leaves wonderful memories and a mark on the girls soccer skills. “I’m excited to see how much everyone grows and the coaches are the best so I’m just excited for all the games,” Vigil said.

This girls’ soccer season will be focused on improving everyone’s individual skills, and the team is excited for the high possibilities coming. “I hope to take away the idea of always finding the bright side and pushing through even when it’s hard,” Vigil said.