MSHS band brings the sound of Homecoming

Have you ever wondered why MSHS doesn’t have a traditional marching band?

The MSHS Symphonic Band plays the Fight Song as they round the track. The band practices for the parade every year.

Sadie House, Reporter

A steady drum cadence carries Manitou Springs High School’s Symphonic Band into the triumphant fight song as they march down Manitou Avenue. Their presence solidifies the celebration of Manitou’s homecoming, a culmination of school spirit and excitement; but why is this the only time MSHS has a marching band?

While MSHS has always had successful symphonic, concert, and jazz bands, a designated marching band program has never been offered. MSHS music students may be able to give an engaging performance at the District Auditorium, but they lack the fundamentals of marching.

David Williams, the MSHS Band and Orchestra director, came to Manitou last school year with 15 years of previous experience teaching competitive marching band. His approach has changed in preparing the MSHS Symphonic Band to march in the Homecoming Parade. 

“I had to start at the very, very beginning with the understanding that nobody has those basic fundamentals of marching,” Williams said. “Like last year was let’s just try and stay in step and go forward. This year is more think about being a little bit taller and how you move your feet. In a couple more years, I’ll just keep progressing.”

I love that we get the opportunity to get a taste of what marching is like, even if we don’t do it to the same extent of some other schools.

— Dave Williams

Williams counts Manitou’s nonexistent marching band as a decision within the performing arts department, that a marching band is not necessarily something the community currently wants or needs.

However, this does not mean Manitou’s community is not engaged with the MSHS band. Any group of musicians, regardless of size, can make a huge difference in a game’s atmosphere. Having the pep band present at a football or basketball game can help immensely to build the excitement.

“Last year, we had some interaction from the parents when the band would play,” Williams said. “And I love that we get the opportunity to get a taste of what marching is like, even if we don’t do it to the same extent of some other schools.”

The experience of marching in Homecoming is in itself memorable, both for participating musicians, students and staff.

Taylor Weimer, the Manitou Springs Middle School Band and Orchestra director, has bountiful experience in Homecoming marching, having been previously a student and now a teacher at Manitou.

“In high school band, I played trombone and marched every year and did band up until I was a senior, and I remember it fondly every single year,” Weimer said. 

Back when Weimer was leading both middle school and high school students in marching, he never saw a MSHS marching band in the cards. 

On top of the cost for equipment, as well as interest and participation needed from students already involved in multiple activities at a small school, Weimer said that if MSHS were to have a marching band. 

“Somebody would have to come along to be very passionate about marching band to make it happen,” Weimer said.

Even without a marching band, student musician’s involvement in both the Homecoming Parade and football game has historically been consistent, a staple of both the Homecoming Parade and Manitou’s community. 

“I think it’s most people’s favorite part,” Weimer said. “It boosts the morale of all the other kids and the whole community of Manitou that gets to see the concert band marching. It’s like a tradition and a really cool thing.”

I remember sitting on the curb of Manitou Avenue and watching all the firetrucks, sport floats, and especially the band march past me, and I knew I wanted to do what the musicians were doing, and I was so excited to have the fight song stuck in my head for the rest of the weekend.

— Rebecca Davis (12)

The effect of Manitou’s musical Homecoming tradition especially shines bright within Rebecca Davis (12). 

As Symphonic Band’s drum major this year, Davis has proved herself to be an experienced clarinet player and a devoted band student. She now conducts the pep band throughout various, adrenaline-inducing stand tunes during football games and helps to make the experience of both Homecoming and the atmosphere of MSHS football games more exciting. 

Initially, I was excited but very nervous to stand up in front of the band and have a role very different from what I was used to, but after rehearsing several times, I became more confident and I have really enjoyed the additional responsibility,” Davis said.

Davis found her own inspiration as a musician in watching Manitou’s Homecoming parade as an elementary schooler.

“I remember sitting on the curb of Manitou Avenue and watching all the firetrucks, sport floats, and especially the band march past me, and I knew I wanted to do what the musicians were doing, and I was so excited to have the fight song stuck in my head for the rest of the weekend,” Davis said.

Now standing in the same position she once admired, Davis made one last trip marching down Manitou Avenue for her senior year, continuing the tradition of Manitou’s Homecoming.

“I wish it was a less underrated activity in the school,” Davis said. “I think every parade needs music, and playing the school fight song repeatedly has a great impact on the overall attitude of the district during Manitou’s unique Homecoming.”