Spring Sports Preview: Girls’ Soccer

Madrid Mack (12), Cassidy Kuzbek (12), Grace McCumber (12), Payten Smith (12), Elanor Fugate (12) and Erica Sherwin (12) are all excited to play and finish their high school soccer careers with a bang.

Makenzi VerVaecke, Senior Reporter

The Manitou Springs High School girls’ soccer season is coming up and will officially begin on Feb. 27. 

This year is special for both the coaches and players, because they have high hopes for how the season will go. “I do have a good feeling about this year with playoffs and I think we will go pretty far,” Madrid Mack (12) said. “I’d like to get further than quarters, which we made last year. I think making semis would be huge for us.” 

The players and coaches believe that this is one of the most talented group of athletics MSHS has had in years. “I’m really excited for the season!  We’ve had a lot of really good teams over the past 10 years, but this one may be the best,” Ben Mack, head soccer coach, said. “If we can avoid injuries, and players challenge and hold each other accountable to getting better every day, I think we can go far into the playoffs.”

Other players have bigger hopes for the season like senior, Sami Benge-Kulzer. “I’m just excited to be able to play with everyone again and we have a good chance to make it to state, I think a lot of seniors have a lot of talent on the team,” Benge-Kulzer said. 

This year most of the varsity team will be seniors and some players are coming back from being injured, like Cassidy Kuzbek (12). “I will probably focus on getting back to how I used to play before my injury and not being scared of getting hurt again,” Kuzbek said. 

The coaches also have similar goals as the players, but they also want to focus on positive mindsets and growth this season. “ I would say the biggest points of emphasis this year will be mindset, confidence and the ability to understand the game at a deeper tactical level,” Ben Mack said. “Our goals are to be Conference Champs again and make a deep run in the playoffs.”

Madrid Mack has been a big part of the varsity in the past years and wants to continue her growth. “I’d always like to be one of the top goal scorers and a good offensive threat. I broke this record last year, so maybe beating my own record would be cool,” Madrid Mack said. 

Madrid Mack has also committed to Metropolitan State University of Denver to further her education and soccer career. This season she wants to focus on making the most of her last season of high school soccer. “I have the most fun playing high school soccer because it’s for my school with my friends,” Madrid Mack said. “I think it’ll be a huge part of me that leaves and that is left behind with high school soccer.”

The team has struggled with injuries over the years, but their biggest challenge this year is the lack of depth on the bench. “The only challenges that I can foresee this season is our lack of depth,” Ben Mack said. “I feel pretty good about our top 10 or 11, but can we develop some of those athletes that are on the bubble to become valuable contributors on varsity this year.”