The Prospector

The Prospector

The Prospector

Poll

What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Caleb Hall moves on to pursue master’s in Yoga Therapy

MaKenzi VerVaecke
Hall brought a new depth to Yoga class. Hanging behind Hall are mandalas he had students color and write “I am” statements that described a virtue they represented.

Yoga and dance teacher of two years, Caleb Hall, has decided to resign from his position at Manitou Springs High School to pursue his professional career outside of MSHS. 

Hall graduated from Manitou in 2017 and found his passion for dancing with former MSHS teacher Nicole Barry. “Prior to that I had just been an actor, performing artist, and did mostly theater; but dance here completely changed my life,” Hall said. “Paired with yoga, they both really took care of my body and were wonderful ways for me to express myself.”

Hall has helped many students in his two years teaching also find more approachable ways to take care of themselves without the traditional PE classes. “I took yoga as a way to have a more approachable PE credit, and it has taken a lot of stress off of me this year,” Maya Scott (10) said.“Mr. Hall is very accommodating to us in class.” 

Not only has Hall created spaces in his classroom for students to learn how to take care of themselves, he also created Wellness Lab with Erin Gocinski for all students in the high school to learn about taking care of their bodies and mental health. “We’re emerging from 2020, the year of COVID, so Wellness Lab turned into a conduit for helping students get some skills that they really need,” Hall said. “Everybody should be able to learn these skills and walk away with the ability to take care of yourself in your mind.” 

Following Hall’s resignation, MSHS administration made the decision to cut the yoga and dance programs due to their low enrollment rates; however, Hall is hopeful that they will still have a role in other PE programs. “I think that there’s an intention to keep yoga and dance somehow part of the community here through one or multiple of the PE classes. They might do a unit in Lifetime Fitness on yoga or dance,” he said. 

Although Hall is sad about leaving MSHS because it allowed him to grow as a teacher, he is looking forward to having a larger position in the community. “I’m moving to pursue a more serious career within the arts administration or within health sciences. This opportunity was wonderful for me for the time and allowed me to grow myself as a yoga teacher to be able to consider larger positions within the community, “ Hall said, “so I’m looking forward to that.”

Hall will also be pursuing further education by getting his master’s degree in Yoga Therapy. “I’m hoping it will allow me to do an alternative to occupational therapy or physical therapy and work with clients individually using Eastern philosophy and sciences combined with Western practices. That’s really exciting for me; and ultimately, all that builds my yoga business,” Hall said. “I already have some yoga festivals that I’m presenting at now, and my own practice as a teacher is expanding; so I’m looking forward to investing more into that.”

Hall recognizes that MSHS is changing, but hopes that the community will be open to the changes happening and focus on the future. “I want people to focus on solutions and be open to change. I think it’s too soon yet to say if you don’t love programs being cut is a good or a bad thing. I think it’s just it’s just a thing that’s happening,” Hall said. “I would encourage everybody to look at things as they are and not be so swayed by what they think is going to be the impact.”