What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

Valedictorian Sierra Dunlap leaves a positive legacy

Sierra+Dunlap+will+leave+her+mark+on+Manitou+after+being+an+outstanding+community+member+and+student.+
Carrie Dunlap
Sierra Dunlap will leave her mark on Manitou after being an outstanding community member and student.

Valedictorian, Sierra Dunlap, who has been at Manitou Springs District since pre-school, is leaving an important mark after her four years at MSHS. Dunlap has been a leader in volleyball as well as Key Club, a member of National Honor Society and the District Accountability Committee and an integral part of the Manitou Springs community. She recently committed to attend the University of Colorado, Boulder for the fall of 2024 to pursue her future goals.

Dunlap has learned many things through her years at MSHS, a big part being Key Club which has helped shape her into the person she is today. “Sierra has brought an enthusiasm and a consistent positivism in all that she does. From the start as a freshman, she has been dead set on growing the club and planning more service projects to add to the club’s schedule and menu,” Key Club advisor Mike Talbott said. 

During the spring of Dunlap’s junior year at MSHS, she was elected President of Key Club which allowed her to spread positivity and her infectious attitude to other students. “We grew from 18 to 50 students,” Talbott said. “No one person is responsible for that growth, but Sierra has worked diligently with other club members to expose more Manitou Springs High School students to what Key Club offers to students. As well, she has added to our project options and sought out new opportunities for the last four years,” Talbott said.

On top of that, Dunlap never saw herself becoming valedictorian; but after creating goals year after year, she achieved this rewarding title. “There are a lot of really smart kids and people who push themselves here, so it’s hard to know if it’ll happen; but my brother played an important part, as he was also valedictorian, so I got an insight of what that looked like which helped push me,” Dunlap said.

Morgan Flannery, a fellow MSHS senior, has known Dunlap through pre-school as they have always been Mustangs together, is proud of what her fellow classmate has achieved. “She’s the funniest person I know and always knows how to bring a smile to people’s faces with her positive personality,” Flannery said.

MSHS will always be a part of Dunlap’s life and is something she will cherish through her next steps in life. “Something I’ve noticed about Manitou with all my time here is how involved we are with the community and how involved the community is with us. It’s been pretty special and all the fun events that Manitou does in coordination with the town has been exciting to experience,” Dunlap said.