The Prospector

The Prospector

The Prospector

Poll

What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

MSHS admin cuts Yoga and Dance and restructures English courses for 24-25

Cordelia Portman
Kyle Blasi (10) and Alisha Strupp, a councelor at MSHS, talk about Blasi’s schedule for next year on May 15. Many students were consistantly visiting their counselors to reorganize their schedules after the English, Yoga and Dance class changes were announced.

Over the course of the second semester of this school year, MSHS administration has gotten together to decide on the English, Yoga and Dance class choice changes. According to administration, these changes are being made to expose students to a wider variety of content.

Caleb Hall, the Yoga and Dance teacher at MSHS, plans to move into the next step of his life and will no longer be teaching at MSHS. Because of this, and due to low course requests, Dance and Yoga classes will no longer be offered at MSHS. “We are incredibly grateful for the work that Mr. Hall has led and the impact that he has had on students during his tenure from 2022-2024,” Anna Conrad, the principal at MSHS, said. “We wish Mr. Hall the absolute best as he pursues new opportunities as both a performer and artist.”

According to administration, Dance and Yoga curriculum will not entirely disappear. “We will be building in Dance and Yoga curriculum into our Lifetime Recreation class and potentially PE as well; my best hope is that we can revisit this in the future as we strengthen enrollment.” Conrad said.

Administration has decided to offer certain English classes as an elective credit rather than an English credit, taking place during the 2024-2025 school year. “We are now offering English III, AP Language and Composition, English IV, AP Literature and Composition, and PPSC 1005 Theater Appreciation for junior and senior English credit,” Conrad said. “Furthermore, we will continue to offer Creative Writing; Film, Media, and Propaganda; Yearbook; Introduction to Journalism and Advanced Journalism for elective credit.”

These decisions were made to not only introduce students to a wide variety of content at a rigorous level, but also to meet certain college requirements, such as fulfilling necessary requirements for PPSC’s Multiple Measures Placement Matrix which supports concurrent enrollment, Degree Start, Career Start, etc. “These choices were made to ensure post-secondary preparation since both of these courses satisfy all college’s English requirements and PPSC’s Multiple Measures Placement Matrix,” Conrad said. “And to create opportunities for students to dual enroll in their English course and an elective course through our English department.”

The English department had not been informed that the changes were in the works until the decision was made. “We were operating under the impression that the courses we’ve been taught this year would still be offered next year, which is why we presented those course options in the curriculum,” Jessica Moen, an English teacher at MSHS, said.

The English department has also met to try to incorporate elements from Creative Writing, Philosophy, Film Media and Propaganda, etc. into English three and four classes. “As an English department, we have met together and talked about different units in the different classes that could be used for English III and English IV. So, Kerrigan is going to use a unit that I planned for Philosophy in her English III class,” Moen said. “We are  working together to see if we don’t have to reinvent everything from the beginning. Our English department is very good at collaborating with each other, and we will support each other as much as possible.”

Because of these changes, administration has seen an increase in students enrolling in AP English classes.

Next year there will also be new course additions that administration is excited to introduce. “ Next year, we are looking forward to introducing AP Environmental Science, World History & Geography, and Integrated Science,” Conrad said. “Additionally, we are expanding our Work-Based Learning experiences as students culminate their last year of Career & Technical Education pathways in their respective post-secondary fields. Furthermore, we are excited to support our first cohort of students pursuing Degree Start through PPSC.”

Caleb Hall, the current Yoga and Dance teacher at MSHS, is grateful for the time he has spent at Manitou, and is excited for the next step he will take. “I just want to express my gratitude for the time that I’ve had here and the impacts that I’ve had with students in the way that I’ve watched students grow and mature through these classes,” Hall said. “It’s been a wonderful piece of my journey.”