What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

Covid-19 rise across country

From Texas to Kentucky to Manitou Springs, the cases rise with the arrival of new variants
Ari Clark
With the rise of Covid-19 cases, students and staff are encouraged to maintain a healthy and prepared amount of supplies in their homes by their peers, to ensure a quick recovery in the event of a Covid-19 prognosis.

New Coronavirus variants have begun to cause a rise in cases, deaths, closures and hospitalizations in surges across the United States. With over 2000 cases reported in the last week in Colorado alone, tensions are high among residents. It also poses worries for school administrators, hospital staff and most other highly populated places of work. 

The last several weeks have seen a rise in cases of Covid-19. Several schools in Kentucky and Texas have already temporarily dismissed in-person classes, while hospitals and nursing homes have also reported a rise in cases of the variants. The current variants spreading are XBB sub-variants, including EG.5 and FL.1.5.1, which are currently the most common diagnoses. The EG.5 variant has been responsible for over 21% of recent cases whereas the FL.1.5.1 variant is responsible for approximately 15% of Covid-19 cases. 

With the rise of cases there has also been a significant rise in hospitalizations and deaths. Covid-19 related hospitalizations hit an all time low in June 2023, however they began rising again shortly thereafter. Because states are no longer required to share the number of diagnoses with the CDC it has become more difficult to track individual cases. However, as of Aug. 26 over 17,400 people in the U.S. were hospitalized with Covid-19. 

Jacqueline Revello, the district nurse, spoke on her thoughts regarding the rise in Covid-19 cases. “So what’s different this year with COVID tracking is that we’re not separating it out from other illnesses,” Revello said, “I truly can’t tell you if the number of cases we’re having has increased significantly.” 

With the virus spreading quickly, home testing popularity and demand has increased significantly. Some companies have even begun running out of take-home tests to sell. Although they hope to be able to restock them quickly. Manitou Springs High School is also running low, the current protocol is to offer tests to symptomatic students, but they may not last much longer. “Once they’re gone, they’re gone and I won’t be sending them home. I’m just trying not to waste them,” Revello said. 

The Manitou Springs School District has not only seen a rise in cases among students, but also teachers. Anna Conrad said, “if someone is not feeling well or that they’re sick, that they should be staying home but our best hope is to get as many students and staff to school on a regular basis so that we can build community.” 

In better news, a new Covid-19 booster vaccine is in the final stages of testing and will be available very soon. Until it is made publicly available the CDC recommends wearing face masks, getting tested if exposed to someone with symptoms or a diagnosis and getting the vaccine as soon as they can. Face masks are available for students in the nurse’s station, the front office and several classrooms. “If you do feel like you’re sick, wearing a mask helps protect others,”Revello said. “I think that one good thing that came out of a pandemic is people kind of understanding that your illness can put others at risk.” 

Staff encourages all students to stay safe and get vaccinated as soon as they can and they look forward to the rest of the school year. Conrad said,“we’re really excited to continue to support students and staff.”