What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

Swimmers sent off to State

Photo by Keegan Bockhorst Julia Lucero, Emma Buth, Margaret Barton and Georgia Sinclair show their Lane 5 pride.

Manitou Springs High School students and staff gathered to watch the swim team leave for State on Friday, Feb. 8. The girls got the traditional Manitou State send-off, being escorted out of town by a fire engine and police car.

Manitou has representation in three individual events and three relays, sending seven competitors and nine alternates.

Freshman Veronica Morin, who has broken three pool records and is working toward her third Mustang record, is racing in the 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle and the 200 medley relay, swimming backstroke.IMG_4947

“It’s really, really awesome,” said Morin. “It’s cool to break records that have been there for so long, especially as a freshman.”

Morin was actually eligible for six individual events, but had to limit herself to only two.

Freshman Sam White is another swimmer competing individually for Manitou, swimming in the 100 breaststroke, the 50 freestyle and the freestyle leg of the 200 medley relay.

“I’m so excited,” said White. “It’s just cool that this year we’ve had more freshmen make it to State than we ever have before.”

Photo by Keegan Bockhorst
Julia Lucero, Emma Buth, Margaret Barton and Georgia Sinclair show Lane 5 pride.

Junior Georgia Sinclair is the third Mustang to make it to State individuals and will against White in the 100 breaststroke. She hopes to make it to the top 16 this year, as she narrowly missed out on the same race last year, finishing 17th overall.

The girls will all swim qualifiers today, which will determine if and when they swim on Saturday, Feb. 9.

By Keegan Bockhorst