Enthusiastic Manitou Fans Lead Mustangs to Victory Against Woodland Park

Spencer Aurand

Wide Receiver and Defensive Back Dominic Archuleta (11) at the home game against Faith Christian on August 29, 2014.

Aidan Epstein

On Friday, September 5th, the football game against Woodland Park kept everyone on the edge of their bleachers. The Panthers’ football squad started their day early by painting Manitou High School’s cafeteria and SILC building windows with messages of intimidation. Instead of intimidation, this resulted in an incentive for the Manitou football boys to win the game, and for a bigger crowd of fans to see that happen.

Being on their turf, Woodland Park’s bleachers were filled with screaming fans for the Panthers, but the opposing side’s bleachers matched them in spirit, which would remain throughout the rest of the game.

In the first half, the score was 20-7 with Woodland Park in the lead. The Panthers’ fans chanted, “Manitou, go home!” It almost seemed like their intimidation tactics were warranted.

The second half started with the Manitou football boys kick in full gear. Manitou racked up two more touchdowns, placing them ahead of Woodland Park with a score of 20-34. The “Manitou go home” chants died down, and were replaced by chants of “Man-i-tou! Man-i-tou!” from the other side of the field.

The uproar reached such a level that minutes from the end, Woodland Park police became concerned that Manitou fans would rush the field. They informed Chris Burr, one of Manitou’s chaperones of the crowd and the principal of Manitou Springs Middle School, to try and get it under control. When the clock finally hit zero, the crowd ran to the edge of the field to pat the green and golden pads of their victorious football players.

“The (Manitou versus Woodland Park) football game was a fantastic example of grit, determination, and perseverance for our football team. I cannot remember another time when the fans had such an impact on the game and outcome,” Burr told the Prospector. “The students from (Manitou High School) were outstanding!  I was so proud to be a part of the Mustang crowd… and so proud of how fun, enthusiastic, and kind our students were.”

Manitou fans left the stadium proud of their football team. The team left the stadium thankful for their fans. This was an away game, but still the turnout was as if they were at home.