The Prospector

The Prospector

The Prospector

Poll

What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Winter Sports Preview: Boys Basketball

Halli Frost
Senior Basketball players Nate Gentzel (12), Sam Fournier (12) and Nick Schneider (12) posing in front of Jack Willie Gymnasium, ready for their 2023-2024 season.

The Manitou Springs 2023-2024 boys basketball varsity players are setting their sights on a strong and triumphant season. Their last 2022-2023 season record was 17-7 and was senior heavy, so the boys are hoping to make this season just as strong as the last

“We want to be one of the best teams in the Tri-Peaks League and learn to work hard every day, be a great teammate and fulfill our roles on our team to the best of our ability,” head varsity coach Brian Vecchio said. 

This year, senior players are hoping to keep the next season’s record going, while also seeking to meet personal goals for the team. “Making playoffs, getting a first round win and just kind of taking the team somewhere they haven’t been before, somewhere we’ve been doubted to go. “Nate Gentzel (12) said.  

Not only is the team close, but they also push themselves and each other to give the game their all. “I think of it as a responsibility to do it for my teammates,”Sam Fournier (12) said. “I keep pushing because there’s always other people who need help.” 

The players all take pride in keeping each other motivated and clear minded,both on and off the court. “We are all good friends because of a small school, so I think we come together as a team by hanging out, not yelling at each other and not having problems between ourselves,” Gentzel said. 

Coach Vecchio encourages motivation and new opportunities for his players. “I have learned that basketball is a long season, and that we must keep things fun and fresh to be able to be at our best at the end of the season,” Vecchio said. “Their hard work makes me want to work hard to prepare them for every opportunity they get to step foot on the court.”    

Setting healthy expectations as student leaders to create a positive feeling in our community is something that all players are expected to uphold. “It is very difficult to get anything great accomplished in life with half of an effort or no enthusiasm for what you are doing,” Vecchio said. 

Though sometimes the players need a strong leader to set them back on track, it is also important to share positive words and make each other smile. “I think it is necessary to be tough on them sometimes, but always be there for them when the pieces fall apart,” Vecchio said.