What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

The home build at MSHS is complete

Ari Clark
Glenn Hard and Brad Borkowski cut the ribbon alongside construction students on Thursday, Nov. 30.

On Thursday Nov. 30, the ribbon cutting ceremony was held for the completion of the home build built by the construction students here at MSHS. This project is through a program called Careers in Construction, which has been established in several high schools across Colorado. The home build program enabled MSHS students to build a 1200 square foot home with the help of industry professionals. 

Careers in Construction Colorado is a non-profit that started in 2015 in just Colorado Springs, but then, in 2019, it expanded across the Front Range. By 2025, CICC plans to enroll 5,000 students in the program and strives to have at least 20% of the student participants also employed. 

In addition to the home build program, CCIC allows students to go on job shadows or even internships. Brad Borkowski, the Industrial Technology teacher, has been at MSHS since 2012. The students in his classes can receive real world certifications through his classes. “It is such a great feeling to have the house done,” Borkowski said. “I think it turned out really great and I am so excited to learn from this one to improve the next build. It is really amazing to see what our students were able to accomplish.” 

“If you ask the average high school student if they’d like to get involved in the construction industry, they’ve got a very narrow window of what that means because most schools aren’t doing this,” Careers in Construction Executive Director Glenn Hard said. “They don’t realize there are so, so many options. So this program as a whole is great for kids because it allows them to see more opportunities.” Hard was the former Principal of MSHS and is a Manitou Springs High School graduate. 

Once the foundation for the home has been built, it will be transported and bought by the Habitat for Humanity. MSHS will then begin another home build. “This not only helps students get interested in a career in construction, but also helps them maintain and work on their own house some day,” Borkowski said.

The ribbon cutting ceremony included remarks from Hard, walkthroughs of the house, music and food. Construction students who contributed to the build were welcomed to join in the event. “You never know what you’ll need and construction just teaches a lot of principles involving wood,” senior Hallen Haile, a principles of construction student, said. 

“It’s a collaboration between the industry and schools. So, the Careers in Construction program is the conduit to move kids towards the industry,” Hard said. “It’s the connection between schools and industry that really makes this different from other programs.”

View Comments (4)
$125
$500