The Prospector

The Prospector

The Prospector

Poll

What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Angie Glass leaves legacy after 10 years at MSHS

Georgianna Derziotis fills athletics and activities administrative assistant position
Angie+Glass+and+Wendy+Skokan+dress+as+super+heroes+for+a+student+assembly+in+2019.++During+her+time+at+MSHS%2C+Glass+was+the+true+embodiment+of+a+Mustang%2C+just+like+Skokan%2C+who+is+also+a+former+administrative+assistant.+
Angie Glass and Wendy Skokan dress as super heroes for a student assembly in 2019. During her time at MSHS, Glass was the true embodiment of a Mustang, just like Skokan, who is also a former administrative assistant.

In June of this year, the former athletics and activities administrative assistant, Angie Glass, resigned from MSHS and took a new position working in operations at Morgan Stanley Financial, officially starting on July 24. Georgianna Derziotis, the new staff member who has taken over the position, has an important role to fill. 

Glass had been working in Manitou Springs School District since 2013, after also graduating from Manitou in 1996. Glass loved being a part of Manitou traditions. “Being a part of all the traditions that make Manitou, “Manitou” meant so much to  me, especially because these were some of the same traditions my mom was a part of when she was in high school, as well as myself, my husband and my two daughters,” Glass said. 

With such strong connections to Manitou, the decision for Glass to move on was not an easy one. “Leaving Manitou was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make, and although there were various reasons why I left. I am truly heartbroken,” Glass said. “My Manitou ‘roots’ run deep.”

Miss. G. is the new face in the athletic office next to Athletic Director Cameron Jones.

Derziotis, who goes by Miss G., is excited to work in a small school like the one she grew up in. “I really enjoyed the culture. So my interview here in Manitou was more of a small town environment, it definitely pulled me in,” Derziotis said.

Before Manitou, Derziotis worked in smaller high schools in Ohio as an athletic trainer. 

Derziotis started the position while school had already been in session for a few days, meaning she had to adjust fast. “The person in her job has to make order out of chaos quickly, and she has,” Elizabeth Tindall, Student Council Advisor, said. 

Derziotis is most excited to help junior and senior athletes through the college recruitment process. “I remember that experience because I was the first kid in the family to do anything like that, so just helping them through that process,” Derziotis said. She played softball at Thomas Moore University before transferring to Northern Kentucky University.

While Derziotis is settling into her new career, Glass’s presence is still missed in Manitou; however, she is enjoying her new position at Morgan Stanley. “Right now, I am enjoying learning new things, meeting new people and being able to walk around downtown on my lunch break,” Glass said.

Glass works at her new desk at Morgan Stanley Financial

One of Glass’s favorite parts of working in MSHS was working the games and planning events, her favorite time of year being Homecoming week. Glass said, “As each day goes by and you get closer to graduation, keep the question, ‘What will your MSHS legacy be?’ in the back of your mind.”

English teacher Jessica Moen, who has worked in MSHS for eight years, worked  with Glass up until she left. “Angie’s legacy can be seen in various ways around the school and around the community, some subtle, like signs for athletic events being in her handwriting, and others more obvious, like the recently refurbished M on the side of the mountain visible as one drives into town,” Moen said. “While she is no longer a physical fixture for current and future Mustangs, her influence will remain a part of our Mustang community forever.”