What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

Cluxton jumpstarts his automotive career

Lilliy Nice
Stiles Cluxton (12) excited to begin his life in the real world upon graduating MSHS and finishing the career start program.

Senior Stiles Cluxton has taken the opportunity to learn about vehicle mechanics as part of his high school experience. He enrolled in Manitou Springs High School’s Career Start program that is offered through Pikes Peak State College his junior year, giving him the chance to get ahead of the game after high school.

Cluxton enjoys the thought of getting out of the typical school day and took advantage of getting to spend his day learning about something he found interesting. “I like being outside of school, it is what I do for work and what I do for a living so having more people in the industry teaching me is helpful,” Cluxton said.

Automotives run in the family, spiraling Cluxton’s interest and motivating him to one day inherit his stepfather’s company. “Right now, I’m learning how to run the books, do the front desk, and be the big man, although that’s what’s difficult for me,” Cluxton said. 

Cluxton attends the class during the first two blocks of a school day at Pikes Peak State College. This program gives him the opportunity to learn new skills and deepen his understanding on vehicle service. “I get to wake up a little later in the morning, get out of school for a couple of hours to do something I enjoy, and the school pays for it as long as I keep my grades and attendance up,” Cluxton said. 

The Career Start program is open to all juniors and seniors who are on track to graduate.“Our previous counselor had talked to me about it and it seemed like a really good plan,” Cluxton said. He plans to go into the automotive field right after high school, so Career Start was a great opportunity to gain experience and knowledge. Although Cluxton will have to attend an extra two semesters upon graduating to certify from the program. 

The Career Start Program was made to give students an opportunity to go straight into the workforce after graduating. Jennifer Trainor, the College and Career Counselor at MSHS, promotes and works closely with students to set them on the right track for success. “College is not for everybody, but having a plan is,” Trainor said.  “If it’s an apprenticeship or a certification, we want to prepare students for the future.”

Pikes Peak State College offers 17 different programs ranging from automotive collision technology to nursing assistant.

MSHS covers enrolled students’ costs and provides transportation from the high school to PPSC, although Cluxton prefers to drive himself. Career Start is also offered at other Colorado high schools, connecting students from around the area.

Cluxton enjoys the opportunity to attend the Career Start Auto Service Tech II program, as it is a topic he takes interest in and plans to pursue in the future, giving him the chance to connect with others his age and up, building lifelong friendships.