New teaching platform used in several science classes at MSHS

Halli Frost

Kolten Wupper (10), Amy Stanciu (10) and Lana Kahtava (10) in their biology class using the Elevate program.

Halli Frost, Reporter

Science students in several of Andrew Slama’s classes transitioned to an online remote-taught program beginning the second semester. The school purchased the platform that is called Elevate in case the science classes did not have an in-person teacher to educate the students during the second semester. Slama had recently been absent for an extended duration during the first semester due to health concerns. 

Slama continues to teach his Advanced Placement Physics, Anatomy and Physiology classes. He respectfully declined an interview about the biology platform and is looking on the bright side of the situation for his students.

Now that Slama has returned, two teachers are in one classroom during Biology courses. Slama is in the room to proctor the course, but the course is taught by Katherine Davis remotely on Elevate from Ft. Collins. Many students in these classes have opinions about the sudden change to online classes. 

Before Davis took over the course, Raynand Dumala-On was in charge. “We had one online teacher that was just not there for us,” Amy Stanciu (10), a student in one of Slama’s biology class, said. “He was always talking about something other than the class, but we now have a new teacher who’s a lot better, and we are actually learning things now.” 

“It’s not the same experience you get in a real classroom. It’s really confusing and hard to navigate the platform. I would like things to be more accessible and easier to get to.”

— Kolten Wupper

It is unknown if the platform will continue after this year, although the school district has purchased the online classes for the remainder of the second semester. “I know a lot of people in my class have also been complaining and struggling with it,” Lana Kahtava (10) said. “We are repeating a unit that we learned in the first semester.”

Not only are students in Slama’s class repeating a unit from the first semester, but navigating the platform has been an uphill battle. “It’s not the same experience you get in a real classroom,” Kolten Wupper (10) said. “It’s really confusing and hard to navigate the platform. I would like things to be more accessible and easier to get to.”

Technology malfunctions have been a prominent issue within the classroom, causing difficulty in students’ focus. “We’re constantly having tech issues, so it makes the learning environment very difficult,” Kahtava said. “I would really much rather have Slama teach the class.” 

Though many students have struggled to connect with the Elevate program, The principal at MSHS sheds light on the situation. “This is currently a short-term solution in place, our plan for the future is that students will be learning with a live teacher,” Anna Conrad said. “Ultimately, my best hope is that students are receiving an excellent education all the time.”

During the COVID, schools were closed to the public for health safety. Because of this, many online platforms were purchased by closed brick and mortar schools so that they could continue to teach students. “It didn’t work during Covid-19, So why would it work now?” Kahtava said.