Dooley makes history as first female Eagle Scout in the Pikes Peak region

courtesy of Sierra Dooley

Senior Sierra Dooley receives her official Boy Scout award. Dooley will celebrate her Eagle Scout Court on Mother’s Day.

Sophia McKeown, Guest Writer

On top of being a varsity cheer captain, prominent NHS member, and at the top of her graduating class, Sierra Dooley is the first female Eagle Scout in the Pikes Peak Region and the third in the state. Dooley first joined Venturing—a youth program apart of the Boys Scouts— when she was 14 years old. Before February 1st, 2019, girls were not allowed to join the Boy Scouts of America (Scouts BSA). While younger girls could join the Cub Scouts program, it wasn’t until only about a year ago that they could earn the rank of Eagle Scout. According to Dooley, she started her journey towards becoming an Eagle Scout the day the decision was made.

About half a year later in October of 2020, the fall of her senior year, Dooley completed her Eagle Scout board of review. This step in the process of becoming an Eagle Scout is essential because it allows a committee of adults to evaluate each scout’s accomplishments and determine if they are adequate for the ranking that they seek. Eagle Scout is the highest rank of Scouts BSA, and the road to get there is long, challenging, and requires immense amount of skill and dedication.

Dooley went through each of the ranks: Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle. Within each rank, Dooley completed the required 21 merit badges and earned a total of 34 merit badges before she turned 18. “The first four ranks empathize scout skills such as orienteering, camping, cooking, and physical fitness,” describes Dooley, “the last three emphasize adventure, service and leadership”. In order to complete the final steps in becoming an Eagle Scout, Dooley had to complete 21 merit badges, serve in a leadership position, demonstrate scout spirit, complete a project, and participate in a Board of review and scoutmaster conference.

Although being in Scouts has given Dooley countless memories to look back on, there are a few moments that stuck out to her. “My favorite thing about being in scouts is meeting new people and going on new adventures,” says Dooley. Each summer she staffs a national program known as NAYLE National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience. “I meet scouts from all across the country and watch them grow into a strong contingent over a week,” describes Dooley. Group service is a prominent component in the Scouts program, so it no surprise that Dooley has found her favorite moments through supporting others.

Dooley’s impressive resume and extracurriculars earned her spots at many good colleges around the nation. Next year, Dooley is headed to CU Boulder where she will join a PreMed program and major in biology. Dooley’s love of service, adventure, and life itself inspired her to continue her studies towards fulfilling her passion for science while also helping those around her. Although college and life after high school is daunting to some, Dooley anticipates her future with excitement as she recognizes it as a chance to expand her mind and exercise her developed skillset. As for Scouts, Dooley takes the lessons she learned in the program wherever she goes. “Scouts has taught me many things, but most importantly it taught me how to be a leader and how to be a mentor. I hope that moving forward I will continue helping others grow to greater heights,” says Dooley.

Joining the Scouts program and working her way up to Eagle Scout rank has evidently shaped Dooley into the strong, kind individual that she is today. To Dooley, being an Eagle Scout is “a symbol of being a leader, being morally strong and always willing to serve others.” While many MSHS students look up to Dooley, Dooley has always admired the other Eagle Scouts in her life. Being in District 14 her while life, Dooley was told to change the future, to be something great. “In school we learn about women who take charge and achieve new things,” she says, “When this opportunity became available to me I knew I needed to embrace it”. Although Dooley is set to graduate from the halls of MSHS this spring, her imprint of service, humility, and dedication will remain for decades. Dooley embodies the true character of an Eagle Scout, and she “will continue to live by the Scout oath and law” as she heads toward her bright future.