Dear Seniors…

Amanda Kerrigan

Seniors Payton Reed, Michael Parker, Grace Olson, and Sophie McKeown hanging out in Advisory before Spring Break.

Jalen Lindh, Reporter

I know many seniors this year are a little disappointed by how this school year is going. Senior year is usually the one that is a breeze, unless you have to make up credits, then probably not)\. It’s the final year before you go off into the world and start adulting. I don’t know about all of the seniors, but some are vey worried and scared about the idea of being on their own. And maybe some are scared they might leave their friends behind and might lose contact with said friend. These are all worries that most seniors always think about. But instead of fearing of the unpredictable future, try to enjoy the present. As a wise turtle named Oogway once said, “ ​You are too concerned with what was and what will be. There is a saying: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why they call it the present.” So here are a few things that you can do to try enjoy the rest of your senior year.

The first thing I suggest is to try something new that your school offers. This could vary from a variety of activities. Maybe try a new sport; you never know if you might go pro. Take part in the school play. Maybe your destined to become an oscar-winning actor or actress. It doesn’t even have to be school related. You could pick up a new hobby, like learning to play a new instrument or drawing. It all depends on what inspires you to do things. It’s actually a core need for psychological well-being. Learning can help you build confidence and a sense of self-efficacy. It can also be a way of connecting with others too. Yeah, maybe you don’t want to take a leap out of your own comfort zone, but you don’t have to. It could be the littlest shuffle outside of it and you’ll hopefully see another difference.

My second tip for you is to take some quality time for yourself. Look, it’s senior year. Hopefully  you’ve already been busting your rump to keep your grades afloat so they don’t sink, and you probably have a job and have been working constantly working. Take a break. It’s your last year before you actually have to go and work for the rest of your life, so why not at least enjoy. Now I’m not saying you have to quit your job,and I know many of you have cars you have to pay for, but just try working less. I know it may be diffuctl but plan something advance then. Let your job know in advance that you’re going to take a break and the set it up. Trust me, you’ll feel a lot of unneeded stress be lifted of your shoulders.

And now here is my final tip for you is something that some of you are probably tired of hearing. Make a plan for when after you graduate. I know, I know. I sound like your parents nagging you, but it’s true. I know some people may not have really a good idea of what they’re going to do after high school, and that’s okay. You don’t a solid plan. Sometimes things go in the opposite direction and your plan may either take a dive in the toilet or go somewhere even greater than your set goal. Just have a rough draft of a plan at least. So then you have some general idea of what you’re going to do. It’s better to have something than nothing. When you go out to the real world, you don’t wanna be stumped, not knowing what you should do.

I know this tough on many of you. Covid really messed a lot of great things up for you seniors, and it can’t be easy. But hopefully in this last stretch of the school year, things will return to the way they were, and you’ll be able to enjoy the rest of your high school career. I wish you all the best of luck, and hope you do well when you graduate. You will be missed by many of your friends and teachers.