• March 19Dive-In Movie on March 22nd at Manitou Pool from 7:30-10:00pm ($10-To get in)

• March 19Spring Break starts March 25th and ends in March 31st.

• March 15Baseball has a tournament on March 20, March 21, and March 22 at Home.

• February 27World Language and Culture Night is on March 20th at 5 p.m.

• February 27Bring your formal wear to Mrs. Kerrigan and shop at WLACN to donate to NHS.

How to Deal with Different Political Views

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nearing the end of the 2017-18 school year, Kaitlyn Cashdollar (12) and peers helped organize the Walk Out for Student Lives. The Walk Out assisted in creating awareness for the consistent flow of school shootings. This is only one of many protests and marches that Cashdollar has participated in. She is often active in events that involve her political views.

Becca Heiniger

Becca Heiniger

Becca Heiniger

Logan Spicer, Junior Reporter

Seeing loved ones during the holidays can be stressful. Often times, political discussions seem almost unavoidable these days. What should be a fun family gathering can turn into what feels like a war. For some, it can be a struggle to balance your own views, alongside others.

Here are some of the best ways to talk with family over the holidays without it feeling like a battlefield:

1. Don’t force your perspective on anyone

The best thing to do with anyone, family or not, is to not force your opinion or perspective onto them. People can get defensive and probably won’t easily be persuaded. Recognize that some of your family may not agree with you and that’s okay.

1. Recognize that you have control of the situation

In situations like this, you have more control over it than you think. If you feel something may be getting out of hand attempt to change the subject or exclude yourself from the conversation.

1. Learn how to argue fairly

If you’re going to discuss things like politics over holiday dinners make sure you know how to discuss and debate fairly.

1. Work through your differences

Keep an open mind and don’t judge. Maybe you’ll see that your opinions are more similar than different.

1. Walk away

Often times the only thing you can do is walk away.

Kaitlyn Cashdollar (12) has dealt with differing views in her own family. “They make [holidays] very unpleasant. It often turns nice conversations into uncomfortable ones. I don’t think it helps anyone, it just makes everything uncomfortable in general,” said Cashdollar. “ I say something, (and) sometimes people don’t listen or don’t hear my point or just refuse altogether, and then when I ask for the backing up of their own points, they have the inability to do that.”

Holidays can become difficult to enjoy when family brings up these topics. “In some ways, I dread (the holidays) especially with that group of people,” said Cashdollar.

About the Writer
Logan Spicer, Junior Reporter

Logan Spicer (9), is a photographer and likes to read and write in her free time. She is taking Intro to Journalism this year and wants to do something...