Mustangs Suffer Loss to Bayfield Wolverines


The Mustangs stand together to recite the Pledge of Allegiance before the game.

On Saturday, November 7, the Manitou Springs Mustangs (sixteenth seed) played the biggest game of their season against the Bayfield Wolverines (first seed). This was the first round of the 2A Colorado state play-offs this year.

Kickoff began at noon. Davyn Adamscheck (11) had the kick. Manitou plays a strong defense, thanks to the help of Chase Norman (12), Wyatt Sedlacek (12), Uriah Waters (11), Riley Manzo (12), and other defensive players.

Although Manitou’s defense was very strong, Brody McGhehey (#25) on the Wolverines was able to score a touchdown five minutes into the first quarter.

Norman helped out the Mustangs to get a first down, but he was hurt shortly later with a foot injury.

At the end of the first quarter, the Mustangs were down 6-0. Three minutes into the second quarter, Adamscheck intercepted a pass from the Wolverines, giving Manitou an advantage.

Despite have the advantage, the Wolverines scored another touchdown about five minutes in to the second quarter.

Just shortly after, Manitou quarterback Cole Sienknecht (10) sustained a serious concussion, forcing Adamscheck to step in as the quarterback. The Mustangs were able to keep their strong defense for the rest of the quarter.

With 1:45 left in the first half, Archuleta covered Bayfield wide receiver Brian Mashak (#12), preventing a dangerous pass.

With 55 seconds left in the first half, the Wolverines were flagged for shoving, which left the Mustangs with the advantage. Manzo recognized this advantage and made a key run at the end of the second.

In the third quarter, the Wolverines scored two touchdowns, due to one of their key players, Brody McGhehey (#25).

At one point in the third quarter, the Wolverines fumbled the ball, resulting in a recovery from Hunter Warren (12).

At the end of the third, the Mustangs were down 24-0.

With 10:16 left in the fourth, Waters severely injured his left leg, resulting in his removal from the game.

Manitou sustained some brutal injuries by the end of the game, the final score being 40-0 Bayfield.

The game ended very emotionally. The seniors knew it was their final football game with the Mustangs.