What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

Love in the Bellevue Hotel: A White Christmas Story

I’m not sure why my family chose to come to this hotel this year; I guess they’re sick of the
brown snow-less Christmases we’ve had the past few years. It’s this fancy huge hotel on a mountain
in Vermont. They are known for their huge 30-feet tall Christmas trees and month-long Christmas
celebrations with musical performances, Christmas carols, and endless sugary treats.
Christmas is absolutely my favorite holiday. I love the decorations and smells and the spirit of
the whole season. I would usually die to spend Christmas at a hotel like this but there is one problem…
I know the family that owns this hotel, and last year I dated the son of the owner. We broke up on
Christmas day last year in this same hotel. Maybe he won’t be here this year. I mean, I hear he moved
to California.
It’s impossible to ignore the bright lights and decorations when we pull up to the hotel. The
log-cabin exterior is covered in multicolored Christmas lights. All of the surrounding trees have warm-
colored lights lacing the branches. Even in the bright daylight, the lights almost blind me. It hasn’t
snowed here in a few weeks but I’ve heard rumors of white Christmas; It’s still a few days away. In
front of the hotel, before the parking lots, is a giant round-a-bout. In the center is a small,
landscaped garden. The centerpiece of the garden is a beautiful pine tree covered in more lights and
ornaments than you can imagine. It’s the most beautiful Christmas tree you’ll ever see, until you go
inside the hotel.

The inside is even more decorated than the outside. Red carpets, nutcrackers, mistletoe
hanging from the ceiling, fireplaces with stockings that I assume hold the names of the staff,
wreaths on doorways, garlands on railings. There are smaller Christmas trees with fake Christmas
presents throughout the hotel. All of them are decorated better than any tree I’ve seen elsewhere. The
song “White Christmas” is playing on the speakers. The whole building smells like a mix of pine trees
and a variety of seasonings like vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. As I leave the lobby, I enter the huge
living room. The room extends up 3 stories with giant glass windows looking out into the surrounding
woods. In the center of the room is the biggest Christmas tree of all. Tinsel, bows, ornaments the size
of beach balls, and a vivid rainbow of lights reaching up towards the star placed at the very top. It’s
the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.
While my family and I start to carry our luggage to our room, I see him. Brad Bellevue, standing
there talking to another guest. I see him look back at me just as he leaves my vision. Exactly who I
wasn’t hoping to see. I never really got over him. He was absolutely perfect, then he started talking
about our future, and I got scared, so I ran away. Last I heard he moved to California, but, knowing him,
he could never spend Christmas in 60 degree weather.
Later that night, I am sitting by a fireplace in the living room reading when someone sits at
the couch across from me.

“Hey Livvy,” Brad says. It’s short for Olivia. It’s the nickname he always used to call me. “How
have you been this past year?”
“Fine. You?” I know if I say too much, I’ll fall right back into his arms.
“Yeah I’ve been good. Ya know… I’ve missed you.” I shouldn’t reply to this.
“I missed you too.”

The next few hours are a blur. We started by getting drinks at the bar, then I went to his room.
I think we might’ve watched a Hallmark movie or something, but I’m not sure. What I do know is that it
is the next morning and I’m still in his room. I’m in his bed. I look at the alarm clock on the nightstand,
and it’s 10:42 a.m.. I get up and start putting on my clothes that are mysteriously on the floor next to
his bed. I try to be quiet. I don’t want to have to explain to him why I am leaving in such a hurry.
“Livvy, where are you going?”
“I’m sorry, Brad. I can’t do this. I can’t fall in love with you again,” I start towards the door.
“Wait. Let’s talk about this.”
“Goodbye, Brad,” I say as I walk out his door. This way is for the best. We live on opposite sides
of the country now. This could never work.
I avoid him for the next few days. He tries to talk to me every once in a while, but I keep moving
forward. On Christmas eve, the Bellevue Hotel hosts a Christmas eve dinner with endless food, live
music, and so much holiday cheer. It still hasn’t snowed but everyone is having a good time without
sledding or building snowmen. Brad is standing near the entrance of the restaurant. I’m walking in with
my family and he stops me.
“Livvy, please. Give me another chance,” he pleads. I don’t reply. I can’t reply. I look at him, and I
can’t find the words to say. I just walk in the restaurant. “I’m not gonna give up until you’re walking
out of this hotel.”
In the restaurant, a pianist is playing a multitude of Christmas songs. I hear Jingle Bells, Winter
Wonderland, I’ll Be Home for Christmas, and so many more. After 3 delicious courses is the desert,
panna cotta served in individual small glasses for each person. It’s delicious. Just as I take my first
bite, I hear the click of a metal knife against a champagne glass.

“ Can I have everyone’s attention, please?” Everyone stops what they are doing to watch him.
For me, the world slows down. I stop seeing or hearing anything but him. I know what he’s about to do.
“I hope everyone is enjoying this lovely Christmas eve. I’m Brad Bellevue. I’m the son of the owner of
this amazing hotel. But, that’s not what I’m here to talk about. I lost something a year ago, right here
in this restaurant. Not quite something, but someone,” he pivots to face me. “This one's for you, Olivia.”
He sits down at the piano. From the first chord, I know what song he’s playing. He’s playing White
Christmas. And as if he controls the weather, It starts to snow. I quietly sing along with him. I try to
hold back any tears, but by the last verse, I can’t stop them.

I’m dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white

Maybe, I’ll give our relationship another try.