NO MORE SNOW DAYS

Photo by Victoria Borodinova from Pexels

Snow Days provide much needed family time. In the future, the time will be spent in front of a screen.

Jack Embery, Reporter

As Colorado starts to have colder temperatures move in through the Front Range, students begin to hope for a Snow Day. Possibly on that Snow Day, students might want to sleep in or have a catch-up day to complete missing assignments. Although, as with many things in 2020, Snow Days seem to be a thing of the past. Gone are the days where teachers and students could go out and enjoy the snow. Since schools have adapted to doing online or hybrid schedules, where students learn remotely online from their homes, many districts are turning to remote learning days instead of Snow Days. This helps the teachers not fall behind, and they stay on track for planned schedules.  In 2020 with all the stress happening, it seems that most would want a Snow Day to be a day off and not have to learn. I think it is important for the mental health of teachers and students to have this important break. 

While conducting interviews with students and having light conversations with teachers, I  got a sense of the frustration that they feel. Lauren Reed, who is a 10th grader, said, “It is super upsetting [because] Snow Days are important for kids.”  Most of the students and teachers thoughts are that we should have traditional Snow Days, and then once we have hit our limit, we should go to online e-learning days. Senior Michael Parker said,”I think the whole joy of snow days is not having to work on that day and getting to play in the snow.”  However, he does see the necessity of remote learning days. “If we have 7 or 8 or 9 Snow Days, it makes sense to have a remote learning day. I get that,” he said.  Some concerns that go along with removing traditional Snow Days are that they provide students who may be struggling to have a catch-up day where they can complete missing assignments.  Parker used his last Snow Day on Monday to “ca[tch] up on homework.”  Another aspect is that Snow Days give students a day to relax. This is needed now more than ever.  Free of stresses from school, and a day to return to childhood and do fun things like building snowmen, hanging out with friends, and having hot chocolate, are all necessary for students K-12 right now.   On October 26, which was Manitou Springs’s final traditional Snow Day, students did just that. 

Battling with the already abnormal reality of current life, I and other students think that traditional Snow Days provide a necessary escape for students. Whether they decide to relax or do homework, it is enjoyable for all. Since the beginning of modern schooling, schools have had Snow Days. I think it is unfair to all students and families to cancel the dream days they hope for on a  stormy winter night.