• May 2School gets out on the 25th! Have fun over the summer!

Manitou Springs High School Receives National Student Council Award

MSHS+students+volunteer+to+help++elementary+school+students+at+the+Ute+Pass+Elementary+School+Craft+Day+in+December+2015.+This+is+only+one+of+many+volunteering+opportunities+student+council+participates+in.+Throughout+the+year%2C+they+also+put+on+a+volunteering+day+during+homecoming+week%2C+sponsor+a+family+for+Christmas%2C+participate+in+food+drives+and+more.+
MSHS students volunteer to help  elementary school students at the Ute Pass Elementary School Craft Day in December 2015. This is only one of many volunteering opportunities student council participates in. Throughout the year, they also put on a volunteering day during homecoming week, sponsor a family for Christmas, participate in food drives and more.

MSHS students volunteer to help elementary school students at the Ute Pass Elementary School Craft Day in December 2015. This is only one of many volunteering opportunities student council participates in. Throughout the year, they also put on a volunteering day during homecoming week, sponsor a family for Christmas, participate in food drives and more.

Lily Reavis

Lily Reavis

Andrea Edwards, Student Council Correspondent

Manitou Springs High School Student Council has been awarded a 2016 National Gold Council of Excellence Award by the National Association of Student Councils (NASC).

Right now, you’re probably wondering what this award is all about and the significance of it all. According to Ann Postlewaite, who is the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) student programs director, “Receiving an NASC National Gold Council of Excellence Award reflects the highest dedication on the part of the school to providing a strong, well-rounded student council program. NASC applauds the work of the National Gold Councils of Excellence and challenges them to contribute their leadership to their schools and communities.”

“I am especially proud of the consistent level of excellence in our Student Council. This is the third year we have earned the NASC Gold recognition. It is definitely a reflection of the time and effort put forth by these students year after year,” said Alice Stoneback, MSHS Student Council Advisor

In order to meet the requirements for the NASC National Council of Excellence Award, the student council had to meet a variety of criteria. In addition to basic requirements such as a written constitution, regular meetings, a democratic election process, and membership in NASC, the council demonstrates things such as leadership training for council members, teacher/staff appreciation activities, student recognition programs, school and community service projects, spirit activities, goal setting, financial planning and active participation in state and national student council associations. That being said, councils awarded the gold level have successfully demonstrated the highest level of leadership.

To learn more about the National Council of Excellence Award, please visit www.nasc.us/ncoe.