Middle School Basketball Coach Retires after 38 Years

Zach McGee, Reporter

Mr. Rodney Johannsen, middle school math teacher and basketball coach, is retiring after 38 years of teaching and coaching at Manitou Springs Middle School. Throughout his years, he has achieved great things. When Johannsen arrived at Manitou in 1978, he started as a sixth grade teacher. At the time, what is now Manitou Middle School was a junior high.

During the school’s transition from junior high to middle school, he became a seventh grade math teacher, and has remained in that position ever since. Current freshman David Misyura learned with Johannsen in 2013-2014 school year. “[He was] passionate about his work and made the material interesting for his students. He set students up for success and added humor to teaching which helped to create a likable character,” said Misyura.

Johannsen started coaching the same year he arrived at Manitou. His background in basketball comes from high school and college. He played basketball at Southwestern College, home of the Moundbuilders, a private college located in Winfield, Kansas. At Manitou, he coached both the girls’ and boys’ teams. During his tenure with basketball, he coached at an estimated amount of over 1,000 student-athletes.

Previous player for Johannsen, Davyn Adamscheck (11), stated, “He was very enthusiastic about basketball, he knew what he was talking about and knew how to get his point across when coaching.” He also said that Johannsen influenced his basketball career today.

There will be a celebration for Mr. Johannsen’s final game on February 5 at 5:00pm in the Manitou Springs Middle School gymnasium.