Medley Relay Team Sets New State Record

Mustangs place fifth in state 4A swim meet, and take home multiple medals.

Riley Snyder, Reporter

Three hundreths of a second (.03) made all the difference between first place and breaking the state record.

Saturday, February 14, the girls swim team competed at the 4A State Championships in Thorton, CO.

Sophomores Emily Dolloff-Holt and Kethrys Buffa, and juniors Sam White and Veronica Morin began the meet by not only taking first place in the 200 Medley Relay, but actually breaking the 4A State Record with a time of 1:45.86. This same relay team took 2nd Place in the 200 Free Relay later in the day.

“It felt absolutely incredible to accomplish a goal we’ve had for so long and also accomplish so much more that we never thought was possible,” Morin said.

Doloff-Holt said, “It didn’t even feel like reality, and it actually still feels like a dream.”

Their initial reactions were shock, they said. “I was just laughing, we were all so shocked and surprised,” Dolloff-Holt says.

In addition to breaking the record break, Morin took 2nd place in the 50 Freestyle, 7th place in the 100 Free, while Dolloff-Holt took 6th place in the 200 Individual Medley and 3rd place in the 100 Butterfly. Sam White took 5th place 100 Breaststroke, 10th place in 50 Freestyle.

Overall, the Mustangs placed 5th in the meet. They competed against traditional 4A schools like Cheyenne Mountain and Evergreen, who took the 1st place title for the second year in a row.