MSHS students feel effects of Ukrainian crisis

Logan Smith (12) fills up his car at the Loaf and Jug on Manitou Ave.

Colt Henricks, Senior Reporter

Over the last several months, the world went into shock after hearing of President Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. Americans have felt the impact of the invasion by viewing the ongoing sadness that the news shows, as well as our own commodities, such as gas and food going up in price here in the United States. When a worldwide crisis takes place, we all expect things to go up in price; but, we are seeing record high prices in some areas. 

Since the invasion of Ukraine, the United States has been hit by higher gas prices, food prices, and a downed stock market.  With the Ukrainian crisis, inflation has spiked up to 7.9% causing widespread panic. Products like wheat have also seen an increase in cost, mainly due to Russia and Ukraine contributing to 29% of all wheat exports globally. 

Logan Smith (12) has been hit hard by these gas prices along with seeing the news. “When I see a news story about a Russian missile hitting a kids’ hospital in Ukraine, I feel devastated. I see that little kids are dying hopelessly,” Smith said.  

Smith, who lives in Woodland Park, CO, started a delivery service where he makes various types of deliveries such as groceries, food deliveries, and supplies.  He has been impacted by gas prices. “Since the crisis and the high gas prices near me, I have had to increase the cost that is charged for deliveries. I now charge a ten dollar base delivery fee just to be able to maintain my production without having to spend much out of pocket money on gas,” Smith said. 

Even before the crisis, Smith has prepared for the downfall of our country. “Prior to President Biden taking office, the value of our American dollar has depreciated, causing me to put my money in things like precious metals and making me sell my stocks, when I am not taking a huge loss,” Smith said. 

The crisis in Ukraine has especially impacted capital gains and commodities impacting many of our own students who are involved in those markets.

Every time a Russian tank or assault has been destroyed, it makes me proud. I, like most of the world, am hoping for Ukraine to win the war.

— Zion Harris (12)

Another senior, Dallen Alexander, has been impacted by the Ukrainian crisis as well. Every day when he goes home and goes on Instagram or other social media platforms, he is struck by seeing the same destruction in Ukraine.

“All I see is the same idea of another destroyed shrine or hospital and seeing the total death reports,” Alexander said.  

He plans on joining the Marines and has the utmost respect for the amount of retaliation that Ukrainian soldiers and civilians have put in order to keep the Russian forces from taking over Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. 

“I think about the situation that I may be put in, but seeing a bunch of untrained civilians really makes me think that anything is possible. Ukranians are going into a battle as an underdog and putting up one heck of a fight,” Alexander said.       

Zion Harris (12) has talked about the bravery that Ukrainian forces have. He is amazed by the pushback Russia has received. 

“Every time a Russian tank or assault has been destroyed, it makes me proud,” Harris said. “I, like most of the world, am hoping for Ukraine to win the war. When I see videos on Tiktok of Ukrainian pilots taking down enemy jets or farmers stealing tanks, I laugh at the embarrassment of Russia.” Harris said.

Instead of having hatred towards Russian soldiers, he feels bad knowing that they likely have no idea what harm they are doing, since they are being brainwashed by a Putin regime. 

“I used to think that Putin was a cool guy when I saw him hanging out with bears and drinking bottles of vodka, but now, to me, Putin is a coward using his force against innocent people,” Harris said.  He enjoys driving his car and doing things actively.  “Hanging out with friends is a big part of my social life,” Harris said.  He always avoids going to the gas station until the last point to fill up his tank. 

“In terms of oil and gas prices, I think they are ridiculously high right now, but that is just something everyone has to deal with,”  Harris said. 

Harris currently works at Front Range Barbeque, which helps when he has to pump gas at the gas station. “Because I get to see all of my buddies at work, it makes the cost of gas a little bit cheaper in my book,” Harris said.