Seeing double in the class of 2022

The Class of 2022 has three sets of twins

Jalen and Terry Lindh hang out at a car show when they were 6 years old.

Piper Larsen, Reporter

In Manitou Springs School District 14, we commonly refer to ourselves as “The Herd” because our mascot is the Mustang and we are a big family. Manitou Springs High School is home to actual families as well. Most common are siblings, cousins, and students with parents who work in the school. However, the most remembered are the twins. There are over ten different sets of twins attending MSHS, three of which are in the senior class of 2022. 

There are two different types of twins, fraternal and identical. Fraternal twins are defined as two ordinary siblings who happen to develop in the womb together and who are born at the same time; fraternal twins arise from two separate eggs. 

Identical twins are defined as a pair of twins who developed from a single egg, and are alike in all genetic characteristics, including gender and typically appearance. 

Who is older? Jason or Jaxen?

Fraternal twins Jason and Jaxen Sellers have been attending Manitou Springs School District since Kindergarten. They have had a large variety of advanced classes together over the years, and they are both on the Knowledge Bowl team. “Our biggest similarity is probably that we are both pretty smart,” Jason Sellers said. Many students will remember the Sellers twins as exceedingly intelligent.

People might wonder if it is difficult living or being around someone constantly. When it comes to twins, it seems like that time is multiplied, especially in childhood.  Twins are often dressed alike and do the same activities when they are kids. “There’s always some difficulty being around someone all the time,” Jaxen Sellers said, “but when I was younger; I always had that friend to hangout and interact with.”

The biggest difference between these two is their sociability. Jason is more introverted, and Jaxen is more extroverted. The Sellers twins are fraternal twins, though when they were younger their appearance was quite similar. They say it was more common for them to be mistaken for each other during their younger years.

Who is older? Anna or Mary?

Mary and Anna Kilpela have been attending MSSD14 since 8th grade. They are well known for being nearly identical twins, although they are fraternal. They look almost exactly the same except for their difference in fashion. “We are most different in the way we dress,” Anna said. They used to have to share almost everything they own, but now they have their own rooms as well as styles, making them more individual and unique.

The Kilpela twins are involved in a lot of activities together. They have had many classes together and they even have the same job. “We get food together, we hangout together, we complain together, we do everything together,” said the Kilpelas. Mary and Anna are best friends, with the same humor, and the love spending all their time together.

“Having a twin is really nice,” Mary Kilpela said. “You always have someone there for you.” The Kilpelas get mistaken for each other all the time, “at least ten times a day,” Anna Kilpela said. They have never swapped and pretended to be one another, though they considered it many times. In their eyes they look different too, but most people would agree they could definitely pull it off especially when they were younger.

Who is older? Jalen or Terry?

Terry and Jalen Lindh have been attending Manitou District since 8th grade. “Having a twin is sort of like having a best friend, someone you know very well and who knows you,” Jalen Lindh said. They share their love for music. Both of them have very different tastes in music, but they enjoy listening to it together and having something special in common.

“Terry is more extroverted than I am, I prefer to keep to myself,” Jalen Lindh said. Terry is one of Manitou’s strongest wrestlers, and many people would say he’s inspirational. Jalen is a strong actor and is intellectual and kind-hearted which makes him a good friend to have, his classmates said. They may have separate friends at school, but they will still go watch movies together and hangout at home.

Not many people know that Jalen and Terry are twins because they are fraternal. Even when they were younger, they never really got mistaken for each other. It did happen every so often though. They tried swapping places in the 1st grade, but it didn’t work because their appearance wasn’t similar enough. They are very similar with their sense of humor, the way they talk, and the way they explain things. “Sometimes we’ll be talking and say the same word out of nowhere,” Terry Lindh said.

These three different pairs of twins are unique and independent in their own ways, each having completely different personalities, thoughts, relationships, and clothing. Being a twin could be hard to be your own person; but no matter how many people mix them up and call them by another name, they stay true to themselves and their family.