Mustangs ready for service

Serena Holvenstot

Christian Cashdollar, Terry Lindh and Dallen Alexander are the Class of 2022’s only future soldiers.

Colt Henricks, Senior Reporter

As seniors begin the transition from high school students have many choices to make. Traditionally many seniors choose to further their education through college; however, a few seniors have chosen to honorably serve our nation. Christian Cashdollar, Dallen Alexander and Terry Lindh have all chosen to join the United States military. These individuals have taken the honorable oath to serve and protect our country and it’s values along with the  freedoms that every American has. 

The opportunity to go in and learn new things really excites and really lets me dedicate time towards things that really interest me.

— Christian Cashdollar

Christian Cashdollar has already enrolled in the Army as an infantryman and has decided to attend airborne school in addition to Ranger School right out of high school. Cashdollar’s family has a long history of military enrollment dating back to his grandpa and continuing to his dad who has twenty- eight years under his belt.  Cashdollar has thought about the process mentally and often thinks about the twenty eight year struggle that his dad went through. 

“Seeing what my dad struggled with and went through for those twenty- eight years makes me really wonder how long I want to serve,” Cashdollar said. Cashdollar looks forward to the experiences and information that he will learn and further his life.  “The opportunity to go in and learn new things really excites and really lets me dedicate time towards things that really interest me,” he said.  

On the other hand, Dallen Alexander, has his mind set on joining the Marine Corps. Alexander is a very mindful person and often takes time to work on his physical physique and his mental physique. He decided on becoming a member of the Marine Corps for the personal challenge. “I really just wanted to challenge myself by pushing my body and pushing myself to the limits,” Alexander said. 

I really just wanted to challenge myself by pushing my body and pushing myself to the limits.

— Dallen Alexander

Alexander takes inspiration from other cultures and their values, and uses that knowledge to better himself. “I really take inspiration from ancient Samurai culture and especially the Bushido code where I learn responsibility and respect for myself and others,” he said. Alexander thought a lot about what he may encounter in the Marine Corps. “If the time comes where I ultimately need to take the life of another human being in conflict, I will respect them and their own values and pray for their soul and the souls of their families,” said Alexander.

While Alexander has no prior family history of military service, he wants to protect everyone from harm and believes in American freedom. Alexander is unsure if he wants to make a career out of military service. “It will be at least eight years,” he said.  “If I make it out without much harm, I may serve for an extended amount of time.”

Terry Lindh is entering the Air Force after graduation. Lindh has lots of support from family and friends, but his dad has especially given loads of support towards the decision. Lindh is not a stranger when it comes to service; both of his parents have served in the military. Lindh is interested in serving because he has the desire to learn and wants the life experience to carry with him. 

By the time it all comes and goes, I want to be able to know  the people that I served with were able to trust “me” not only to get the job done but as a human being.

— Terry Lindh

“By the time it all comes and goes, I want to be able to know  the people that I served with were able to trust me not only to get the job done but as a human being,” Lindh said.

To begin the process, Lindh has been doing a lot of physical training. “I hit the gym a lot, and I have been dieting myself in preparation for joining,” he said. “I especially like pushing myself in workouts and being dedicated to my workouts.” 

Lindh’s family history of service has brought him a sense of peace and accomplishment that he hopes to live up to. “Seeing both of my parents serve and the way that they brought me up from birth to now inspires me to become a better man and bring out the best in me.”