Thirsty for Projects

The President of Key Club, Benjamin Schwartz (11), stands next to the decorated lockers in the junior hall that promotes the Thirst Project.

Paige Laurie and Alyssa Rash, Junior Reporters

There are many clubs to join at MSHS and a popular one is Key Club. The Key Club organizes many events and projects that the whole school can participate in. A recent project that Key Club has organized is the Thirst Project.

Thanks to Key Club, representatives from the Thirst Project came to MSHS to raise more money and awareness for their cause. The organization raises money to bring clean water and build wells in places that need it, like Swaziland.

While the student body has been taught for weeks why the Thirst Project is important, Benjamin Schwartz (11) goes more in depth about what the goals of the project are: “The main goal of the Thirst Project was to raise awareness, which we did, and of course the secondary goal– that is still very important– is to raise the money, because that was what we wanted to do and we did raise a decent amount of money,” said Schwartz.

The Thirst project was a very impactful project for many students. Bridget Bodor (12) was one of the many students present for the Thirst assembly on October 2. Spokespeople from the Thirst Project came to show a video of the situation in many places in the world.

“It was very eye-opening and emotional, probably for a lot of the student body,” said Bodor. Both Bodor and Barbara Sweezey (10) had many emotions coming out of the assembly. “It made me feel very lucky to have access to clean safe water,” Bodor said.

Sweezey, however, had alternate feelings. “After watching the video I felt kind of bad and realized I take a lot of things for granted,” she said. Sweezey also took up the challenge the Thirst Project presenters gave the crowd. Students looked on as their daring classmates attempted to lift the heavy water jugs that many people in third world countries have to carry for miles. Strong students struggled under the weight, quickly realizing that it was not easy nor comfortable.

Sweezey, the only girl to give it a try, walked out with confidence. Then things took a slight turn for the worst; she had hoisted it up onto her shoulder when the weight caused it to tip and fall to the floor with a slam. “It was a lot heavier than I thought. A small child shouldn’t have to carry those for miles daily,” said Sweezey.

The Key Club– having effectively attracted the attention of their classmates– asked for donations and money was quickly thrown from the crowd. The Thirst Project is not the only event they handle. “We also do things like food drives, flowers for seniors, Mother’s Day flowers, Pikes Peak Ascent Marathon Dinners, UNICEF, and other helpful events,” Schwartz said.