Review: Unique and Thrilling New Movie “Searching”

Eliana Uecker, Student Life Editor

The movie Searching, directed by Aneesh Chaganty and produced by Timur Bekmambetov, is a unique and thrilling movie that follows a desperate father’s efforts to find his missing 16 year old daughter and uncover the events that lead to her odd and unusual disappearance. The award winning film takes the audience on a roller coaster of twists and turns. The story progresses in a style most audience members have probably not seen before.

The popularity of social media and advanced technology in our everyday society allowed for the movie to unfold specifically through film taken on phone and computer cameras. This special filming style perfectly fits the story, as the young daughter’s disappearance is heavily influenced by her involvement on social media and her daily use of technology. Another aspect of this movie that I thoroughly enjoyed was the great deal of haunting silence in certain portions of the movie. Although it sounds odd, the lack of dramatic music and over-the-top action scenes made the film feel more realistic and seemed to engage the audience on a deeper level.

Overall, the movie was executed brilliantly and sends an excellently executed message about the importance of online safety. I highly recommend this movie to all ages, as it truly is a riveting storyline with a unique twist, but I especially recommend it to the younger teen audiences of our generation.