• August 20The first day of school is on August 25th.

• July 30Registration for all students is on August 21st at Manitou Springs High School.

• July 30Freshmen Orientation is on August 24th at Manitou Springs High School.

Editorial: Disney is for All Ages

Allie Robbins, Reporter

I strongly agree that people are never too old to be a Disney fan. Disney movies are amazing because they teach people about loving one another, bring back childhood memories and are easy to relate to. They make for the best marathons. The songs featured in the films are amazing and the characters make the best Halloween costumes. They make people believe that they can become anything they want. Dreams do come true. People of every age can be a fan of Disney. Walt Disney once said in a song, “When you wish upon a star makes no difference who you are anything your heart desires will come to you.” 

My first time going to Disney World, I fell deeply in love with it. I have gone to Disney World a few times over the years and know a lot about it. For example, I know when some of the parks came out. Animal Kingdom’s opening day was April 22, 1998, Hollywood Studio’s was May 1, 1989, Epcot’s was October 1, 1982, and finally, the best of all, Magic Kingdom’s opening day was October 1, 1971. The roller coasters and shows are a blast. There are a lot of rides for kids and teens. Disney goes all out on making their food shaped like Mickey the Mouse. For instance, Mickey waffles, Mickey pretzels and Mickey sandwiches. If the adults want to go out for a date there are many wonderful restaurants to eat at. The fond memories I build every time I go are just amazing. The memories I make are now treasured in my heart. I remember the first time I went, I was scared of the fox from “Pinocchio” and I started crying, but loved the shows. I would dress up like Ariel and it would be my excuse to not ride Splash Mountain. My favorite part about the park is Fantasy Land, which has more characters to meet and is more colorful than the other parts of the park. My sisters and I love to spend time going on rides over and over again. My whole family loves going there, especially me.

Disney makes the best movies of all time. They have made around 148 movies. The most popular Disney movies are: “The Lion King,” the original “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Fantasia,” “Toy Story,” “The Little Mermaid,” “Dumbo,” “Lady and the Tramp,” “Pocahontas,” “Tangled,” “Wall-E,” “Mary Poppins,” “Ratatouille” and “Monsters Inc.” My favorite movie is “The Little Mermaid” because Ariel is very adventurous and it’s a great movie overall. The website Rotten Tomatoe’s highest rate for the movie is 92%. Nearly three out of four Americans sing the songs from famous Disney movies. 

Disney World can make people feel like a kid again. Many people like Disney World because their parents took them when they were younger or just went by themselves and had a great time. This is why I strongly agree people are never too old for Disney. In the words of Maui from the movie “Moana,” “You’re welcome, you’re welcome and thank you.”