End of Year Brings Student Council Elections

Sage Stevens, Student Council Correspondent

Student Council elections are quickly approaching as the year draws to a close. For the first time in over a decade, the position of Student Body President is unopposed. Amanda Nagel (12) is the only nominee for Student Body President. Nagel has been a member of Student Council for two and a half years, and has served in multiple leadership positions throughout her experience. Additionally, she has received the honor of a state representative for the 2016/2017 school year. As well as serving in student council, Amanda is a basketball and soccer player, as well as an active member in astronomy club and WORRRMS.
Meanwhile, the only opposed position up for election is for student body Vice President, with Madeline Butts (11) and Kaitlyn Davidson (11) as the nominees. Butts has been a member of Student Council for three years, and has served as Class Vice President during her entire time in StuCo. She will be the only member of the class of 2018 to be a member all four years. Butts is a member of the cross country and
swim and dive teams outside of Student Council. Additionally, she is involved with book club and the Gay Straight Transgender Alliance (GSTA). “[Student Council] became a large part of my life. And my passion has grown for it ever since,” said Butts on her involvement in Student Council. As for the impact she hopes to leave behind, she said, “I want [MSHS students] to feel empowered or just have fun in high school.”
Davidson has been a member of Student Council for one year, and currently serves as Junior Class President. “I thought [Student Council] was a really good opportunity to make a difference in the school.” She is a member of the cross country, swim, and track teams. Additionally, she is the president of Key Club, and involved with National Honor Society (NHS), Teen Advocates for a Well Community, GSTA, and Book Club. “I believe that I am qualified to become
Vice President because I have gained so much insight from my leadership experience, and I would love to apply that to the student body. Also, the Vice President is often ‘the hype man’ and I feel that it fits my personality,” she said.
Running for the position of Student Body Secretary is Matthew Vanderwerff (10). He is the only incoming junior on the executive board, but he has been a member of Student Council for two years. He is a member of the football and track teams, as well as Key Club.
The incoming Student Body Treasurer is Sage Stevens (11). She has been a member of Student Council for one year. She is also a member of the swim team, NHS, Key Club, GSTA, and Book Club.
Executive Board voting will close on Friday, April 14.