Swim Team Hosts Senior Night, Qualifies for State

Lizzy Anderson, Senior Reporter

On January 23 the Manitou Springs swim team competed in its last home meet of the season against St. Mary’s. The final score was 91-89, Manitou won.

The win was bittersweet as it was also senior night. The swim team prepared to say goodbye to seven seniors, all who have been swimming all throughout their high school career.

As a tradition, underclassmen prepared speeches for each of the seniors and presented them with flowers. “It went really well, I was super happy with the turn out we got, normally at home meets we don’t get a big crowd, it was a good change,” said Kaitlyn Davidson, who was in charge of senior night, and spirit captain.

The Mustangs begin to prepare for the League and State meet after losing to Discovery Canyon on January 25.

This year CHSAA created a 3A state tournament, traditionally Manitou has had to compete in the 4A tournament. In order to compete in the state tournament swimmers have to beat the time set for that event. The last chance to qualify for state is at the Tri Peak League on February 2.

So far six girls have qualified for state and three relays:

Emily Dolloff-Holt: 200m IM, 100m breaststroke, 100m fly, 100m freestyle

Sydney Dolloff Holt: 200m IM, 100m breaststroke, 100m backstroke, 100m fly

Coco Stevens: 50m freestyle

Sage Stevens: 100m fly

Lilly Patterson: 100m fly, 50m freestyle

Kaitlyn Cashdollar: 100m backstroke, 100m fly

200m Medley relay: Kaitlyn Cashdollar , Sydney Dolloff-Holt, Emily Dolloff-Holt, Coco Stevens

200m Freestyle relay: Sydney Dolloff-Holt, Emily Dolloff-Holt, Coco Stevens , Lilly Patterson

400m Freestyle relay: Sydney Dolloff-Holt, Emily Dolloff-Holt , Kaitlyn Cashdollar, Coco Stevens