The Prospector

The Prospector

The Prospector

Poll

Are You Going Out of State for Spring Break?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Art students learn real-world applications for work

Starting this semester, Manitou students now have the opportunity not only to produce art, but also to learn real-world applications for art. The new art marketing class, taught by Ms. Garlow, focuses on helping students take what they learn in art class and use it outside of the classroom.

“Personally, needing a second income from my art, I always wished that someone had taught me this type of thing earlier,” explained Garlow. “I’m hoping to give students the skills and knowledge to make a profitable business from the beginning.”

Currently, the class structure is split evenly between studio time and a marketing/business curriculum. Though students have a great deal of autonomy in what art they produce, they are assigned specific projects, especially with textiles, that are more in demand among consumers.

riley3x2
Riley Bratzler screen-prints for her art marketing class.
Photo by Keegan Bockhorst

Alongside studio time, Garlow is teaching her students about prices, where to sell their art, proper branding for their art, and other useful knowledge that will prove beneficial to anyone pursuing a career or side-career in art.

The art marketing students have also made accounts on the popular art marketplace website, Etsy, and will be learning how to use that site and earning money online.

This mix of studio time and applied business creates a valuable environment for students. Senior Riley Bratlzer said, “I definitely think what I’ve learned in this class will be applicable to my life after high school. I’ve taken a lot of art classes and I’m hoping to market my own art, so the business aspect will help me to better make a living.”

The art marketing class is still in its early stages, and Garlow doesn’t have many big plans for the future. Her main goal is to keep the class as it is, and always keep in mind her intent to better equip students for life post-high school.

“I’d like to keep the class fairly small,” she said, “but I’m hoping to attract more art students, since I think what I teach can be transferred to other art classes throughout the school.”

By Renae Musekamp