Track looks to triumph this season

Ryan Cantwell, Writer

On March 14, 2015, MSHS Track and Field varsity attended the Harrison track meet. This track meet included massive 5A schools such as Doherty and Palmer; many 4A schools also attended the meet. Manitou was easily one of the smallest schools attending, and didn’t get much action but still managed to come out fairly well.

Due to the small size of Manitou Springs High School, it seemed any sort of placement wouldn’t be easy or even possible. Manitou is only a 3A school going against schools with nearly five times the student count.

The overwhelming size of the opposing schools at the meet did not discourage the team, however. Every member of the team kept their head up and pushed themselves to win.

Due to the spirit and handwork of the team, Manitou managed to do well. Manitou ended up coming in 16th out of 25 schools, with a score of 10. They even ended up above Doherty, a 5A school,  in ranking.

Some members of the track team did exceptionally well. Jared Keul, a sophomore at MSHS, got a time of a 53 seconds on the 400 Meter, giving him the 4th best time in the event out of 50. Malachi Peterson, a senior at Manitou, raced in the 100 Meter finishing with a time of 12.15 seconds, placing him in 11th for the event out of 64. Oliver Bell, a senior, placed 5th in the 800 Meter event out of 46.

Manitou Track plans to excel greatly in all fields and take the same spirit from the Harrison meet to the next meet and for the rest of the season.