Racing Machine

Manitou track star overcomes injury to continue on the road to state.

Sophomore+Taylor+Finn+is+a+year-round+athlete%2C+participating+in+cross+country+in+the+fall+and+track+in+the+spring.+

Sophomore Taylor Finn is a year-round athlete, participating in cross country in the fall and track in the spring.

Taylor Finn is in the 100 and 300 meter hurdles and was one of the fastest on the team coming in first not only in the heat but placed second and first in the event as well. An injury earlier in the season took her out of several meets and gave her a long road to recovery. One would think that an injury like that would stop her, but Finn is a racing machine. In the first race after her recovery she made an incredible come back. She was still seconds ahead of her nearest opponent and crossed the finish line first. Finn is aiming for a state time, but she said it was really hard not being able to run and still want the state time without practice.

Finn not only does track, she does a load of a lot of other sports as well, but she had a love for running. In the fall she does cross country and the spring winter and summer she does track. She loves the 300 and 100 hurdles, but she also enjoys relays.

The injury she had was mainly from over use. Doing all of those sports without rest has a consequence. She had three weeks without putting weight on her leg then it was one week in a boot. When she was finally allowed to run she pushed her self to her limit, she was aiming for a state time but if she didn’t improve she would just do her best. Finn said if she would never recover she would focus on skiing. “Or I would pick out a pretty cool hobby,” said Finn.

Finn started running at a young age. “I have always loved running, I would say since about third grade I’ve been doing track… but I have been running forever really!” she said.

Finn is also aiming for state. “I guess in the 100 hurdles I am aiming for a state champion title and hopefully be in the low 15’s or high 14’s. Other than that (I want to) just run to the best of my ability.” Finn said of wanting state.