MSHS Volleyball Rises to Fourth in 3A Rankings

McKayla+Cully+%2811%29+lunges+and+hits+the+ball+over+the+net.+Even+though+the+game+against+Vanguard+wasnt+their+strongest%2C+the+team+persisted+and+learned+from+the+game+anyways.+

Becca Heiniger

McKayla Cully (11) lunges and hits the ball over the net. Even though the game against Vanguard wasn’t their strongest, the team persisted and learned from the game anyways.

Riley Cluxton, Reporter

On Tuesday, October 3rd, the Manitou Springs High School (MSHS) Volleyball teams played against Vanguard High School. Varsity won against Vanguard with a score of 3-1.

“(This game) was definitely not our best game. We could have done more by communicating better with each other and not playing down to their level. We also slowed down our pace of play in the first match and it really showed,” said Teagan Nevada (10), a middle hitter on varsity. The varsity team currently has five games left, not including the TYN tournament and regionals. On October 19th they play their last game at Atlas Prep. “We can always improve and learn from our mistakes and that is what the game against Vanguard was: a game to look back on and improve on our mistakes to get better in the future.”

“We work harder than a lot of other high school volleyball teams, but in the long run I think all the hard work is showing,” said Nevada. The Mustangs have moved up to 4th place among the 3A Tri-Peaks League. Currently, the MSHS Volleyball team has won five, and lost a single league game. Manitou’s next game is at Lamar on Saturday October 7th.