Are You Going Out of State for Spring Break?

Golf team does well at state

Golf team does well at state

Two members of this year’s MSHS golf team finished in the top 50 at state. This is a noticeable improvement over last year, where no players finished in the top 50.

The three players that qualified for state, Trevor Hunt, Drew Mendoza and Lucas Lichina, finished 12th, 17th and 71st.

Trevor Hunt, who finished 12th overall, shot the best on the team and was the highest placing junior in the tournament.

“I wish I could have placed a little higher but I’m still happy with my performance and the fact that I was the highest placing junior up there,” Hunt said.

Drew Mendoza placed an impressive 17th thanks to a strong first round where he shot a 78. Mendoza said, “I had a good start then struggled a little at the end, but I’m still happy with placing in the top 20.”

Looking back at the season coach Ken Vecchio said, “My goals at the beginning of the year were to finish in the top three in league and qualify for state as a team, and we succeeded in both of those.”

So in the eyes of their coach, the golf team achieved their goals and had an overall successful season.

By Drew Faloon