What are your thoughts on the new English classes?

Morin and Mustangs end strong season at State

Photo by Julia Vance. Senior Margaret Barton competing in the 200 freestyle relay.

The Manitou Springs high school swim team capped off one of the best seasons in team history with a strong showing at State, with freshman Veronica Morin placing twice in the top 10 and the 200 freestyle relay placing in the top 16.

State was held on Feb. 8-9, featuring mainly 4A schools that 3A Manitou would have to compete against.

Morin finished 4th in the 50 freestyle and 9th in the 100 freestyle. She was seeded 3rd in the 50 and 6th in the 100.

Photo by Julia Vance.
Senior Margaret Barton competing in the 200 freestyle relay.

“I’m happy that I was the only freshman to be a finalist in the 50 free, but it would have been nice to place better,” said Morin. “However, it is only freshman year, and next year I’m going to win, or try to win.”

Morin’s performance ends her record-breaking freshman season, in which she broke three pool records and two Mustang records.

The 200 freestyle relay was the only other Manitou event to place at State, finishing 11th out of 16. The swimmers in the relay were Morin, Sam White, Hannah Linhart and Kelsey Siebel.

White also swam in the 50 freestyle, where she got her best time ever in that event, a 25.98.

“I was happy about my performance, but I wanted to do better in my 100 breaststroke. I was seeded 17th and finished 25th,” said White. “But I’m so excited to stick with Manitou swimming because this year turned out so well.”

Manitou was expected to place well in the 200 medley relay, but they were disqualified after junior Georgia Sinclair left early. According to senior captain Kailah Buchanan, Manitou’s 200 medley relay time would have made it to the final round of 16 if they weren’t disqualified.

The Mustangs ended up finishing second among 3A schools, behind only Kent Denver, who they narrowly defeated in Leagues earlier in February.

Buchanan, who swam at State for the first time this year, is very satisfied with the season, in which Manitou’s only loss came to Discovery Canyon.

“It was a phenomenal way to end,” said Buchanan. “It was a really good way to end my swimming career, because I’ve been going since I was seven. I was done after this season.

Buchanan also mentioned her optimism for the future of the swim program, of which she has dedicated four years of her high school career.

“It’s just going to get better,” said Buchanan. “We’re losing a lot of good seniors, but I know it’s just going to be better from here.”

By Keegan Bockhorst