Are You Going Out of State for Spring Break?

Let me in!- Manitou’s locked door policy

Next time you’re sitting in class wondering, “Is that a condor I hear pounding at the window?” No. It’s me. Let me in.

It wasn’t until I sat outside the SILC building for a good ten minutes with Mr. Hull and several students that I really got a good idea for writing this commentary. There we were, during a passing period, waiting for someone to come and open the door but no one appeared. It wasn’t until Mr. Hull called a teacher on his cell phone that we were able to get in.

So instead of being two minutes early to advisory, I ended up being late by almost ten minutes. That’s ten minutes I could’ve spent working diligently on my homework, because of course that’s what I do in advisory, but instead I had to spend it outside freezing to death.

The desolate hallway. Photo by Hannah Tooley
The desolate hallway.
Photo by Hannah Tooley

Now granted, I could’ve just walked through the administration building, but do they really want a bunch of kids filing through their offices everyday? Probably not. And I’ve never had a teacher let me in through the commons, only students with nothing else to do besides facebook on their iPads for an entire block.

This rule is more harmful to our education and security than it is good. If there was several students standing outside the door, it would be just as easy for a shooter to come and kill us as it was in Connecticut. And no one would probably hear that either if they couldn’t hear me banging on the door with the power of Thor.

It is reasonable that if students are late to class, they should have to travel to the office, but during passing periods? Students need to be able to make it to class on time.

Although it is imperative that we keep students safe, we need to have a better system to make sure students are safe inside. Maybe by creating something similar to the teacher-duty schedule so that there would be a rotation of teachers at the doors during passing periods would make this policy overall less of a hassle.

I’m not asking to completely revoke the rule, only that we make a few changes to the system to make sure MSHS students can make the most of their school day learning while staying safe at the same time.

By: Hannah Tooley