Mustangs have rough start to season

Mustangs have rough start to season

After losing their top two scorers from last year’s state qualifying team, some are expecting the 2013 season for Manitou Springs boys basketball team to be a rebuilding year.

Coach Ken Vecchio disagrees saying, “I never liked the term rebuilding… This team has a lot of talent, all we need is for the role players to step up and we will be fine.”

Despite losing six seniors from last year’s team, the Mustangs bring back five varsity players: Jason Cox, KC Quarry, Chad Sienknecht Chase Megyeri and Marcus Rodholm.

A group of promising Juniors from last year’s JV squad fills out the rest Manitou’s roster.

“This team does not have much Varsity experience but they are quick and can shoot. So as long as they execute defensively they can be as successful as they want to be,” Ken Vecchio says about his young team.

The Mustangs opened up their season with two tough road losses to La Junta and Holy Family.

In Manitou’s 58-51 loss to La Junta on Nov. 29 the Mustangs failed to distribute the scoring as Junior Chase Megyeri scored 32 of the 51 points.

Photo by Katelinn Root
Megyeri shoots a three-pointer at La Junta.

In Manitou’s second game the Mustangs distributed the scoring more evenly but fell 57-49 to Holy Family.

The high scorers of the game included Megyeri and Sienknecht with 10 points each. Despite the 0-2 start the players are staying optimistic.

Photo by Katelinn Root
KC Quarry goes up for a lay-up

“It’s tough starting the season like this but we just have to stay positive and focus on the next game,” Quarry Said.

The Mustangs next game is their home opener on Dec. 8 at 4:30 against Jefferson Academy.