Are You Going Out of State for Spring Break?

Students use car crash simulator

This board shows newspaper clips from the crash that killed two students. Photo by Keegan Bockhorst

As part of Drive Smart, Manitou Springs Student Council arranged for the police station’s car crash simulator to be brought to the school on Tuesday, November 13.

The simulator was set up in the parking lot during lunch, with many students participating in the crash simulation.

Robert Scott brought the machine to Manitou, as he has to many other schools throughout Colorado, showing students what a car crash would feel like.

“I’ve traveled all around the Colorado Springs area and even out to Calhan and Cripple Creek to let students participate in this,” said Scott. “A lot of the students remember me each year, too.”

This particular service is very personal to Scott, as his son was paralyzed in a car crash that involved six other students, two of which did not survive.

This board shows newspaper clips from the crash that killed two students.
Photo by Keegan Bockhorst

Senior an Student Body Vice President Julia Beebe organized the event, saying that, “I wanted students to be able to experience what it’s like to be in a car crash, so they know the consequences of not driving safely.”

Senior John Christensen participated in the crash simulator and shared his thoughts about distracted driving.