MSHS Cross Country wrapping up great season

Senior+Marcus+Rodham+%28right%29+

Senior Marcus Rodham (right)

Manitou’s cross country team is already wrapping up the season, and the freshmen have emerged as something to watch. While the entire team is working hard and has potential, the freshman have showed a whole different type of talent, according to cross-country coach, Duane Roberson.

Team Captain Allie Eastep races towards the finish line

“If they continue to improve, they could easily go to state next year,” says Roberson, “if not that, they will their junior year.”

Two of the freshman runners, James Kilroy and Bryce Vanderveer, have broken twenty minutes, which is an excellent time for first-year runners. Although many of the freshmen ran cross-country in middle school, the level of competition in high school is more demanding.

“The freshman have done really well,” says Kilroy, “they continue to push themselves as the season goes on.”

Freshmen aren’t the only new runners to watch this year. Senior Marcus Rodholm has quickly become the Mustang’s top runner. His best time this season was at the Cougar Classic where he ran 17:01.50.

Senior Marcus Rodham (right)
Senior Marcus Rodham (right) makes a move to beat a Cornado runner

Rodholm says he and his teammates have worked hard — they put in more than 40 miles per week — and it is paying off.

“Training’s really hard, and you have to have the right mindset going into practice, that you’re going to get as much out of it as you can,” Rodholm says.

The Mustangs have one more meet today before Tri Peaks League. According to Roberson, many runners should achieve their personal records on the league course in Florence next week.

By Estelle Buth