Are You Going Out of State for Spring Break?

Parents: the east side is by the track

This morning I pulled into the high school parking lot, and as I rounded the corner, I saw a large white SUV, parked. This sounds normal enough, right?

Wrong.

This particular SUV was blocking five entire parking spots. Inside, I saw a parent sitting and talking casually with his son. Forced to skip those five empty spaces, I finally pulled into a spot. Even after I got out of my car, the SUV still had not moved. On my way across the lot, I saw a parent backing out of a parking spot that they had used to drop off their child, thereby adding further congestion to the already chaotic lot. Next to that, I noticed another parent parked in front of another four empty spots. As I approached the doors to the school, I looked back. The large white SUV was still parked in the same spot, blocking five empty parking spots.

Photo by Keegan Bockhorst

This may sound hectic and disorganized, but it isn’t anything unusual. It’s not uncommon for parents to park in one of the crosswalks, or to block access to available parking spots. For months now, students have been unable to park quickly or easily due to parents dropping off their children in places they shouldn’t. What was initially annoyance is fast-becoming anger and frustration, because, as yet, nothing has been done to solve the situation.

Every morning, an administrator stands outside to monitor the parking lot. The Prospector staff proposes that this administrator attempt to control the congestion and confusion that holds court in the MSHS parking lot every morning. The Student Handbook states that parents must drop their children off on the east side of the school, by the track, ONLY. Why is this policy not being enforced by D-14 administrators?

The Prospector staff understands that many parents are rushed in the morning, but the parents’ current practice of dropping off students wherever they wish, regardless of the flow of traffic, is not acceptable.

We aren’t asking for miracles here. We’re only asking that parents adhere to the school’s policy and, if they don’t, administrators enforce the policies they put in place.

By Prospector Editors

View Comments (1)
$125
$500