Girls’ Basketball Cruise For First Win

Maddie Frahm (11) scores a layup after a Mustang fast break. Frahm was instrumental against Manitou’s win against Machebuef scoring double digits.

Theodore Weiss, Senior Reporter

Unsurprisingly, the Manitou Mustang Girls’ Varsity Basketball (1-0) cruised to a 74-34 win over Machebuff (0-1) at home on Wednesday, December 2.

The number one team 3A Girls Basketball Team coming into the season ranked by CHSAA (Colorado High School Activity Association) started off slow and the game seemed like a nail-bitter for the first five minutes, but Manitou kept increasing their lead until the game was out of reach by halftime.

Head Coach Jon Asps believes that it wasn’t just one individual stepping up for the lead, “It was just five girls playing some good basketball,” he said.

Shelby Megyeri (11) increased the Mustangs’ lead and made sure the Buffaloes were not coming back, as she sent a dagger to the visiting Buffaloes sinking a three point shot at the buzzer to end the first quarter.

Manitou continued their dominance into the second half, resting starters and putting freshman Caileen Sienknecht, for her first varsity minutes of her career.

Manitou didn’t lose any starters from last year, so they don’t have to rebuild, but only continue to build.

Asp agrees that not losing any familiar faces makes it easier to transition from season to season.

“Not losing any players from last year, helps us over build over summer and this year,” said Asp.

The number one team has a long season ahead of them with at least 19 games before the post-season starts, but Manitou can only look ahead to their next game against Colorado Academy (1-0) next Saturday away the fifth.