Student-Drafted Dress Code not Approved for 2015-2016 School Year

Ashley Rodriguez, Senior Reporter

Student Council representatives of Manitou Springs High School wanted to change the dress code for 2015-2016 school year. This new dress code won’t be accepted until the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year. However, it’s uncertain whether the final draft of the dress code will be approved by that time.

Admin and staff wanted the new dress code to be simpler and easier for the students to follow. They think that, with less rules to follow, there will be fewer dress code violations.

The biggest changes in the student-drafted dress code were that shorts, skirts, dresses and similar clothing should cover the top third of the students leg. Also, if a rule is broken in the new dress code, students will not be forced to go home and change clothes unless the violation disrupts teaching or learning.

Mrs. Johnson, Assistant Principal of Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment, thought it was a great idea for the students to write the draft. Johnson said that the draft was a great start and that she hopes that the new dress code will be here for next year.

Sophie Kilroy (12) was the main editor of the new dress code. Kilroy said, “Admin wants to create a teacher committee to try to refine the dress code more, but our biggest challenge is to also try to change how the dress code is enforced.”

Maddie Dayhoff (10) and Sophie Kilroy were hoping that the new and improved dress code would be used this year, but they are still waiting for the staff to approve it.