Hope After Loss for Football Team

Sita Ahlen, Senior Reporter

In honor of 9/11, the game colors were red,white, and blue. The fans filled the bleachers, their faces adorned with decorative paint and patriotic clothing.

Yet, the deaths that had plagued the US 14 years ago did not stop the student body from having fun. Parents yelled at refs and students cheered at touchdowns.

Nine minutes until the end of the 4th quarter, Manitou was still lagging behind by 14 points. We were 3 down, with 4 yards to go and although the it seemed the game would end in demise for the varsity football team.The crowds had not backed down, and cheered and whooped for the players to ‘keep trying’, and the team did.

Cole Sienknecht (10) is the varsity football team’s quarterback this year, and when asked about the age difference Cole was nothing but humble, “It’s a great experience for me to be able to play with this senior filled team, and I am just happy that they have the trust in me to play that position.”

The team has lost the first two games this season but the team has hope for a great season, and Sienknecht (10) definitely thinks they will succeed; “I think offensively we were able to move the ball real well, we just gotta fix the kinks and we’ll be set.”

Monte Gutowski, who has been coaching the football team for 2 years, says “We need to take care of the ball on offense and do our assignments on defense.”

During half time, for the first time in 30 years, the Manitou band walked onto the field, led by drum major, Luke Granger. They played America, Taps, and America the Beautiful in honor of the attacks on September 11th.

Although we did not win the game against the Woodland Park, Manitou students know the boys were working hard, and have faith they will beat the Panthers next year.