The All-State Ensemble

Spencer Aurand, Senior Reporter

https://soundcloud.com/mshsprospector/sets/mshs-all-state-choir-auditions

Rachael Bradshaw describes herself as a social butterfly, always on the lookout for new opportunities to have fun.

The 17-year-old Manitou senior said she hopes to make new friends and meet with the old during her chance to sing with hundreds of student musicians from across the state.

Bradshaw was chosen as one of the students in the Southern region of Colorado as a performer in the 2014 CHSSA (Colorado High School Activities Association) All-State Conference. She will sing as an Alto 2 in the mixed choir, one of eight groups composing the entire conference.

The conference takes place on Feb. 5 through Feb. 7 in the heart of Denver. Each group, led by a renowned conductor, will perform several selections of music at the BellCo theatre.

No other students from Manitou was selected, however, there was an enormous mistake where voice parts were incorrect, resulting in more students not getting in, who, if the voice parts were correct, would have been accepted. It remains to be seen if these students will get accepted and go to All State as well.

To qualify, Bradshaw and the other singers clinched their spots this year by performing a solo in front of a certified CHSAA adjudicator. Each solo is judged on various artistic and technical aspects, such as pitch, intonation and expression.

1,644 students from all reaches of southern Colorado prepared solos last month, with everyone hoping for high qualifying scores that would get them chosen for the conference. For her solo, Bradshaw sang the aria “Quel Sguardo Sdegnosetto” by Claudio Montiverdi, scoring an 89 out of 100.

While there are still a few months to go before her performance with the state choir, Bradshaw says that she’s already very excited.

“The best part about honor choirs is sharing a common love and interest with so many people,” Bradshaw says, “It lets you create incredible music that you just can’t get everyday.”

Several of the audition tapes can be heard in the player, with more to follow.